Why become a member? ×

Entwistle Neodymium pickups

Dazed

I’m considering getting some of the JBXN pickups. 

I’ve had a look through various threads on here and different places online. 

Ive yet to find an actual measurement of the damn things though. 

Can anyone enlighten me. I know they are deeper than standard jazz pickups but if someone could confirm the depth that would be awesome. 

Thanks in advance BC Hive 🙂

Edited by Dazed
Undermined by Autocorrect

Great. Cheers for that @The59SoundHow did you find them? There seemed to be a lot of initial excitement when people first got them, I’m curious what the lasting impression is over time  

Now if if anyone’s looking to get rid of some.... 😉

Edited by Dazed

Hi Dazed

They are a lot louder and a bit brighter than some Jazz pickups I've used, put possibly also my favourite Jazz pickups. There is a video somewhere on YouTube of someone using them in a sherwood green fender Jazz bass. Give it a watch if you're interested.

I last week sold a set of them in the marketplace here, but can definitely see me buying a new set in the not too distant future.

Cheers,

HB

• Thanks 1

I bought the standard ceramic JBX Jazz Entwistles and they're absolutely fantastic. Very warm, but punchy and with lots of articulation. Classic single-coil sound. I think Alan would get a lot more interest if his pups were four times the price and looked like stock Jazz pups... ;)

http://www.entwistlepickups.com/assets/JBX dimension drawing.pdf

Not sure if the JBXN  are the same size as the JBX, though.

Edited by discreet
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mark, a glowing recommendation there. Let’s not go putting ideas in Mr E’s head just yet! 

Can I ask what did they replace? The thing with pickups/mods /upgrades is its often hard to see the difference, especially in isolation without a comparison between the two  

The bass I'm thinking of modding isn’t a jazz bass as such, it just happens to have a pair of jazz pickups, and the bridge one is stupidly close to the bridge so is very nasal and thin. I’m looking to somehow thicken it up, so a bit darker sounding without too much top. 

28 minutes ago, Dazed said:

...Can I ask what did they replace? The thing with pickups/mods/upgrades is its often hard to see the difference...

They were fitted to a new Jazz parts build, so weren't replacements. I didn't have anything to compare them with directly, but when I first plugged the bass in and played it, I just thought, 'Wow'! :)

Edited by discreet

First time I get to use the new digital calipers :)

JBXN neck 91.38mm x 18.5mm x 24.76mm deep

JBXN bridge 94.59mm x 18.5mm x 24.76mm deep

I've 2 Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpios. They come with Duncan Basslines as stock, replace them on 1 with  Entwistle PBXN & JBXN.

Bloody Hell they're loud. I'd heard folk bumming up Duncans as loud. Bollocks !! Entwistle Neos are easily twice the output. Both Zodiacs were strung with Roto Nexus,I find that a bright zingy string, the Neos were too powerful for the Nexus so that bass got a set of Fender flats.Stil very loud and clear.

If you were swapping basses mid set I'd advise an A/B pedal or volume pedal,chances are you'd need it.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

First time I get to use the new digital calipers :)

JBXN neck 91.38mm x 18.5mm x 24.76mm deep

JBXN bridge 94.59mm x 18.5mm x 24.76mm deep

I've 2 Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpios. They come with Duncan Basslines as stock, replace them on 1 with  Entwistle PBXN & JBXN.

Bloody Hell they're loud. I'd heard folk bumming up Duncans as loud. Bollocks !! Entwistle Neos are easily twice the output. Both Zodiacs were strung with Roto Nexus,I find that a bright zingy string, the Neos were too powerful for the Nexus so that bass got a set of Fender flats.Stil very loud and clear.

If you were swapping basses mid set I'd advise an A/B pedal or volume pedal,chances are you'd need it.

Glad to hear you're enjoying them mate 😊 On the topic I think I'm going to get a PJ or new JJ set in a few months to go into what will be my bass for Uni - cheap enough to fit in with student budgets but plenty good enough for if I get into a band there (which I plan to do).

Long and short, if it wasn't for me getting an amazing deal on the super hot Duncans (SJB-2s I think?) in my signature red Jazz bass, it would still have the JBXNs. The best (at least for me) set of J Bass pickups I have heard that you can get for under £100 for the set.

39 minutes ago, Harryburke14 said:

...the JBXNs. The best (at least for me) set of J Bass pickups I have heard that you can get for under £100 for the set.

I think they're right up there with the best regardless of cost. The idea that products can't be any good if they're affordable is strong - and quite wrong. :)

@Harryburke14 The Entwistle JBXNs haven't been fitted yet. The Zodiac got them about 3 years back on the suggestion from a very nasty man by the name of @chrismuzz xD He was up to his tricks again yesterday  so I'll be trying them in an old very Metal Washburn. The Washburn will still get 2 PBXNs fitted at a jaunty angle to match the lava finish and pointy headstock.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Washburn will still get 2 PBXNs fitted at a jaunty angle to match the lava finish and pointy headstock.

You may have trouble with that. I did a search for PBXN's and only found 1 for sale in the UK, and that was his last one. There's none on the Entwistle site, as he's stopped making them, i believe

7 minutes ago, fleabag said:

You may have trouble with that. I did a search for PBXN's and only found 1 for sale in the UK, and that was his last one. There's none on the Entwistle site, as he's stopped making them, i believe

I bought one from them last month, just emailed and asked :D. It's a stock item in some Revelation basses so ask Sutherland Trading if Wrexham can't help.

Already have 3 of those beauties so I'm good.

22 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Really???

That's a shame if true. I still have two of those... I guess I will hold on to them as I'm sure I'll find some use for them in the future. 

I tend to replace the covers 'though, as I'm not a fan of labels on pickup covers:

SqMD_24.jpg?dl=1

Edited by mcnach