Why become a member? ×

Nordstrand Big J Blade pickups

fretmeister

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Nordstrand_Pickups_BigJBlade5_jazz_Bass_

I'm thinking of further modding my P-Ray to turn it into a PJ-Ray. The difficulty is that almost all J pickups are for 19mm spacing. Aguilar do a 17.5mm option but they are special orders and they appear to only be available as a pair. I only want the bridge version.

The Nordstrand blade appears to make string spacing issues irrelevant. 

Anyone tried one? I'll probably take the plunge anyway, but opinions are always welcome!

23 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Well they sound pretty nice!

Just have to decide whether to get the clean & clear or the warmer one for the bridge of my P-Ray.

The Aguilar 60s P pickup is staying as it is wonderful in every way.

Personally, If I were getting a full set of these J Blades I’d probably get the Warm & Wooly ones but in addition to a P I might be tempted to do the opposite and go Clean & Clear for tonal contrast. Though maybe the Warm & Wooly one will sound more like it “belongs” with your Aggy 60’s P pup? Hmmm...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interested to know how the output of the J balances with the P you have.
I might be interested in dropping a P/J set of Blades into my Lakland, but with the stock J being slightly overwound by Lakland (at my request), wonder if a standard P/J might have the J a little lacking.
Have got an email in with Carey about this too :)

Cheers
Si

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

It's very good.

As it happens the PJ-Ray now has flats on it so I tend to use the P pickup alone for my Big Band gig.

The Blade has a good sound and is quite bright. In hindsight it might have been better to go for the Warm version instead, but as I've got 2 tone controls on the bass I can knock it back a bit that way.

I'd happily have them in other basses.

• Like 1