Why become a member? ×

Real Fenders you regret not buying.

stingrayPete1977

I know that I`ll regret not buying the 70s Jazz that Maut is selling on here, as I think it is simply the coolest looking Jazz there is, black/black/maple, pearlescent blocks. A mate of mine has one and it just looks - and sounds - the business. However I can`t afford it, and I don`t play Jazzes very well so that`s how I will console myself.

I missed out on an old, rather battered, stripped of all paint Precision that was on the wall in a Manchester music shop in the late 70s. I played it and it was just perfect, said I'd have it and went back the next day with the money, but it had gone :( 

Edited by FinnDave

A cash converters locally had a sting p bass in beautifully banged up condition. I mean really beaten up.  It played beautifully and had a price tag of £50.  

Clear error on the shops part for not knowing it was a gold nugget and when i set it down to go to the atm outside to get the cash the lurking  customer who was pretending not to be watching nabbed it from below my nose.  

He got a suitable mouthful as i stood and watched him leave the shop with my bass.   

In the mid 80's I had just got married, with my daughter on the way and not a lot of spare cash. Saw an advert in the  York Evening Press for an early 60's Strat, and they wanted £250 for it.

Rang the guy up,said I'd be on my way etc and managed to claw together £235 in cash, thinking

I would wave this under his nose and a deal would be struck.

Got there and the Strat was proper, even had the original Selmer case too. The seller (quite rightly)

wouldn't take my offer, and I left thinking I'd let him think about it and get back to me, which of

course he didn't - it sold on the next enquiry straight away.

Valuable lesson learned about not being greedy / looking a gift horse etc. although to be fair on

myself I couldn't raise any more.

Reckon that £250 guitar would go for £15k + now, which even allowing for inflation, would have

been nice for my old age.

Edited by casapete