Why become a member? ×

Arise Sir Ringo

chris_b

Ringo is a multi millionaire so already well rewarded for his efforts. To my mind he seems to have been knighted for not dying. BTW I do like the guy and I like the Beatles.

But what about Jeffrey Long. He's an ex-para and 86. He does sponsored walks to raise cash for the British Legion - the distance dictated by his age. Amongst countless others he's walked 84 miles along the Leeds Liverpool canal , 85 miles along Hadrians wall and this year 86 miles along the Thames , despite having a bust ankle and , incredibly , being on Chemo.  Jason Manford got involved with that one and as a result donations on his just giving page went through the roof.

I can assure you I'm not jealous but were I an aging rock star enjoying my millions , polishing my countless music awards and waking up next to a Bond girl ( often on the floor , I read !!) I'd be satisfied enough to say 'No thanks - how about you give it to Jeffrey who'd likely use the increased profile to raise even more cash'.

update - I just found out Jeffrey already has an MBE for his charitable work. Pleased to hear it.

Edited by Dr.Dave
  • Thanks 1

I think it`s nice to see Ringo get this, his career has brought enjoyment to many, whose lives may not have been so enjoyable if not for his work.But my thoughts are along the same lines as PaulWarning & Dr.Dave here, there are many unseen heroes who are just as/more deserving of honours for the good that they do.

52 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

...my thoughts are along the same lines as PaulWarning & Dr.Dave here, there are many unseen heroes who are just as/more deserving of honours for the good that they do.

Ditto.

And judging from the honours list, there are many names far less deserving than Ringo; the usual political shills. Same as it ever was.

As I understand it there's a pecking order according to social station too - so if three folk who worked at a school saved an equal number of kids in a fire the head teacher gets the MBE , the support teacher the lesser OBE and the poor bloody caretaker the BEM. Doubtless if some tosser from the Council turned up three days later to 'co-ordinate' the efforts he'd be knighted. Mind you  ,if you got one for cynicism I'd be in the house of lords and not talking to you peasants !

I've never really understood giving people honours for doing stuff that benefits them more than society.  Most senior civil servants get gongs just for doing their job.  There are some people who deserve honours for changing our world (eg Sir Tim Berners-Lee), and those that do an extraordinary amount for charity (David Walliams OBE), but most politicians, civil servants and industrialists achieve results on the back of other peoples efforts.

As for Ringo, right place right time and a huge dollop of luck.

• Like 1

Ooops. I seem to have awakened the negativity troll.

I'm not going to try to correct some of the ill-informed nonsense currently being posted but I will wish a happy and positive New Year to those who are happy and positive.

I guess it's time the mods closed down this sadly silly thread.

• Like 1

As a drummer Ringo has a sound thats pretty unmistakable among any drummers, he just sounds like Ringo , Surely the hardest part of any musician is to stand out from your peers.

Any other drummer would not work with the Beatles and for that he's the perfect drummer for them.

I know the Joke about him not even being the Best Drummer in the Beatles but thats taking a lot away from his talent and skill.

Well done Sir.

• Like 1

As far as i know you need to be nominated for the honours.

For all those unsung heroes out there doing charitable work, someone, somewhere should be nominating them rather than criticising those that were nominated and awarded.

I believe Ringo was awarded the honour partly for his charitable work over the years. I have no idea what that is to be honest.

I don't get the Politicians being honoured for doing they're extremely well paid jobs with significant pension scheme when they retire. That's disgraceful.

Dave

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

This....

While there have been some "technically brilliant" drummers come through in the last 20/30 years (Dave Weckl, Keith Carlock, Ash Soan, Gary Husband, Gavin Harrison, etc..) Ringo Starr's playing was always done tastefully, and more importantly with great time and feel. The guys who held down the drum chairs in the bands of the 1960's paved the way..

Given the choice, I'd always go for a Ringo Starr, Al Jackson Jr, Roger Hawkins, Jim Keltner, Benny Benjamin, Levon Helm, Bernard Purdie and Charlie Watts anyday. Don't really see why this thread should be closed as long as people keep it respectful.

Edited by louisthebass
Additional thoughts / Drummer addition

All this talk about Ringo and his drumming abilty really gets away from me.

Anyone can be a good competent drummer. Ringo was first and foremost  a Beatle. Being a Beatle was his job and nobody did or does it better than him.

I say there's never too many hounors if you were a part of a band that changed the world for the better.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I just don't get these honours, what's the point? nice for the unknowns (like the little old lady that's done school crossings for 50 years) but the rich and famous, isn't being lucky enough to be rich and famous enough?

This ^^

Most of the honours are given out just for doing a job (I give you Charles Thyrwitt’s gong for services to retail. WTF?) and being well paid into the bargain. Services to this and that, be it music, broadcasting, dance, sport - all paid jobs. Where’s Mrs Ez’s gong for services to being a secretary for 30+ years? Oh, that’s right, she’s not a celeb. If you haven’t received a gong for charitable works, give it back for you are not worthy. :angry2:

Edited by ezbass

A nice member of the honours list for me is local lad Charlie Fogarty. He was a youth footballer for the Birmingham academy when he was involved in a car crash that left him in a coma and severely brain damaged. A few years on he's done work for disabled football teams all over the midlands and set up Solihull Moors disabled open-age team, and hopes to get into the Paralympic GB team. All aged just 18.

To me, these are the sorts of people that deserve all the credit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

This ^^

Most of the honours are given out just for doing a job (I give you James Thyrwitt’s gong for services to retail. WTF?) and being well paid into the bargain. Services to this and that, be it music, broadcasting, dance, sport - all paid jobs. Where’s Mrs Ez’s gong for services to being a secretary for 30+ years? Oh, that’s right, she’s not a celeb. If you haven’t received a gong for charitable works, give it back for you are not worthy. :angry2:

And Thyrwitt’s wife has also got a gong for services to retail. WTFx2!