Why become a member? ×

Epi Thunderbird: Telling Gibson pickups from Epi ones

SnakeEyes

...presuming one does not have both basses to compare. 

Thing is, I bought a 2nd hand Epi TB which had (according to the original owner) Gibson pickups. How can one be sure that this is the case and they are not the (theoretically less good) Epi ones? 

I searched the forum and, while I found a similar thread, didn't want to disrupt the conversation with my quite irrelevant question. If I am wrong, please do merge it or sth. 

Thanks in advance!

20 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

They look different - are you able to post pics?

As my mobile cam is so bad that it is better to try drawing the bass, I found a pic on the internet that looks exactly like it: 

(tried to find a pic where the jack hole is right under the knobs, which is the case with mine)

big%20epiphone%20thunderbirdDSCN9186.jpg

That's not the Gibson TB+ pickups.  The scooped out short edges are the tell-tale signs - the Gibson ones are squarer - like this pic -

BAN2BCBC-NikkiSixx-Bass-PU.jpg

Also, the GIbson TB+ only uses 2 screws to attach it to the bass.

Edited by neepheid
Added screw info
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SnakeEyes said:

As my mobile cam is so bad that it is better to try drawing the bass, I found a pic on the internet that looks exactly like it: 

(tried to find a pic where the jack hole is right under the knobs, which is the case with mine)

big%20epiphone%20thunderbirdDSCN9186.jpg

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

That's not the Gibson TB+ pickups.  The scooped out short edges are the tell-tale signs - the Gibson ones are squarer - like this pic -

BAN2BCBC-NikkiSixx-Bass-PU.jpg

Also, the GIbson TB+ only uses 2 screws to attach it to the bass.

What neepheid said.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

the GIbson TB+ only uses 2 screws to attach it to the bass.

Vintage Gibson T'Bird pickups (and Bartolini T4s) use three screws - two up, one down.

IIRC, the Epiphone Pro has a glued in neck and posh pickups. The regular model has a screwed-on neck joint and Asian pickups.

To identify your pickups definitively, it will be necessary to remove one of them from its routed cavity. Check the underside for a model identifier stamp or label. In my opinion, it would be worth measuring the rout. This might help when choosing aftermarket replacement pickups.

I would not be surprised if the regular Epiphone Thunderbird pickup cavities measure 3.5 x 1.5 inches. i.e. Exactly the right size to accept a whole bunch of popular replacement designs from well-known manufacturers. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SnakeEyes said:

Is it possible to buy these Gibson pickups separately? I'm thinking of installing them. 

I don't know if they've changed their stance in this but Gibson never sold Tbird pickups in the past as the originals were guaranteed not to go wrong IIRC.

Bartolini make a pickup matching the size and shape but I don't think it's a tonal match.

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I don't know if they've changed their stance in this but Gibson never sold Tbird pickups in the past as the originals were guaranteed not to go wrong IIRC.

Bartolini make a pickup matching the size and shape but I don't think it's a tonal match.

You are right, just checked their E-store and no mention of TBs. Thanks :)

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 02:13, Funkfingers said:

IIRC, the Epiphone Pro has a glued in neck and posh pickups. The regular model has a screwed-on neck joint and Asian pickups.

The Epiphone Pro series (active & passive) are through neck & 38mm nut, the regular model has the bolt neck which is wider at the nut than the Pro.

The only set neck version I'm aware of is the Tokai Thunderbird, which also has the wider nut.

A through neck isn't quite the same as a set neck.

Yes, the body wings are glued to the section of the neck which forms part of the body after the heel. 

750-EBTPNOBH_detail5.jpg

A set neck is glued in to the body generally using a tenon joint just after the heel.

https://goo.gl/images/QdYN76[/img]

Edited by Skybone