Why become a member? ×

A triple One10 or upgrade to a couple of Two10's?

largo

I have two One 10s and a Four 10. Fantastic match with my Mesa 400+ and gives me heaps of options up to a Six 10 when I link the two One 10s in series. The Four 10 with the Mesa sounds absolutely huge, when I add  the two One 10s it still sounds huge and have not really needed that combo. With hindsight for my purposes a Four 10 and a One 10 would suffice, but the pair of One 10s turned up used and I grabbed them. The Four 10 is an easy schlep and great value imo.

Another thing to realise regarding the eternal oddity of Barefaced 10s...

Say you have two generic drivers in a cab, of 8 ohms each. You have a choice of wiring them in parallel (4 ohms) or series (16 ohms).

You build a similar cab but with the 10" Barefaced speakers. The One10 is 8 ohms so we assume that is the rating for this speaker also. But this time our end results are either 4 ohms in parallel or 12 ohms in series. However in theory you would only be able to get 12 ohms total if the drivers were in fact 6 ohms each.

So it's likely that your One10 might actually be closer 6 ohms rather then 8. In any case, when trying to calculate your total load, try both values out and realise it might be somewhere in the middle!

Yes, this has been dealt with in detail on the Talkbass thread. Alex did respond at one stage, IIRC along the lines that impedance varies with frequency ( no doubt I have this wrong as I am not a tech but that was the rough gist) and that it was safe to use the speakers as rated - which is obviously correct as I have not heard of any issues.

On 04/01/2018 at 13:55, alexclaber said:

A badge that looks great both ways around would be amazing - not so easy to design one though!

Make badge with neodynium magnet on back. For steel grilles, put feet up - job done.

For cloth grilles, put steel bolts at strategic places on front baffle.

My consultation fee is a Big Baby II.

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...

I'd also be interested to hear a review.

I have 2 One10's and I slightly prefer their sound to my Two10 on it's own. I put that down to the filtering used on the Two10.

So, because of that, I'd always imagined 3 One10's would sound even better than my great sounding Two10 + One10 rig. I'd like to find out if that assumption is true.

6 hours ago, Kev said:

For me that's a starting point, how do you find the 210 + 110 combo compared to just the 210?

Sorry, can't say, I've never run the Two10 on its own. I use 2 of them in my very loud band and they can easily beat any band into submission. I use Aguilar amps and so far I haven't found a bad sound in any Barefaced cab.

The 310 was an experiment with a smaller and lighter rig for the gigs I do at a normal volume. The sound of the 310 is very good, full and punchy, but the Two10 is still 28lbs! I just like the idea of multiple 15lb cabs.

I did use a Two10 (8 12 ohm) + One10(8 ohm) in (loud!)rehearsals for a bit, but ended up just using the Two10 as it sounded like the One10 was being driven too hard in that combination; both cabs received the same amount of power, of course. If you are running at a lower volume  / power level that results in the One10 not being driver so hard (and also really sounding like it's being driven hard), then using both cabs might work, but for me I wasn't so keen on the sound. So now I use the cabs separately, and I also fitted the 4/8 ohm switchable kit that Bareface provided. The One10 is absolutely killer for something I can carry via tram or taxi - we have no car - and easily fills a rehearsal room or small cafe-sized gig room.

Edited by OzMike
incorrect Two10 ohmage

You probably were driving the One10 harder than you thought. The Two10's are either 4 ohms or 12 ohms.

If you run the Two10 on 4 ohms and the the One10 at 8 ohms and your amp is good for 2.67 ohms then you have a balanced system.

Run the Two10 at 12 ohms and the One10 is taking more than it's fair share of the power.

• Like 1