Why become a member? ×

Short Scale Bass Recommendations

Frank Blank

So, having gotten used to my Taylor GS Mini-e bass, in fact I am unable to put it down as it is more addictive than crack, I have come to realise that the vast majority of my bass playing woes over several years stem from my small hands vs. full scale bass necks. So I’ve decided to sell up all my full sized basses (Godin A4 and my new Aerodyne that’s barely a month old) and stick exclusively to short scale. I’ve been looking at a Gretsch G2220 but as I am a novice in the world of short scale basses I thought I better see if anyone has any recommendations or ideas. I have the Taylor and I’ll be getting a second as a back up but I want a short scale electric bass and as it will be my only EB I’d like as good quality as I can get...

Whaddya think?

48 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Saw these in PMT the other day...very cool

It really plays very well, much better than I expected. It’s got me looking at its big brother Jackson as my next full size bass. Pickups are good, fit is good, finish is good. Small imperfections but it’s better than a more expensive Ibanez I have.

I’m waiting for next pay day to buy the Randy Rhodes guitar version ;)

It depends how short you want to go, but I completely understand how you got addicted to your Taylor. You may have seen my Wingbass around these parts, and as a ‘around the house’ instrument, it’s absolutely brilliant. I thought it would feel silly and be a gimmick but I use it all the time and it sounds massive!

4 minutes ago, ped said:

It depends how short you want to go, but I completely understand how you got addicted to your Taylor. You may have seen my Wingbass around these parts, and as a ‘around the house’ instrument, it’s absolutely brilliant. I thought it would feel silly and be a gimmick but I use it all the time and it sounds massive!

Played a taylor while in PMT too. Was pleasantly surprised by it - the first videos really didn’t Make me want one at all...playing one did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ped said:

The Taylor is ridiculously addictive and coincidentally perfect for the music I play. Wingbass you say..?

20 hours ago, burno70 said:

Fender Mustang's are really good basses and relatively affordable too. I have a Maruszcszyk short scale. It's a nicer bass than the Mustang but more expensive.

Yep, Maruszcszyk will build pretty much what is required from all accounts. I`ve played one of their 32" scale basses and it was great, just a regular Precision type but medium scale. If I ever start to get creaky fingers the this will be the avenue I`ll go down.

11 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

The Taylor is ridiculously addictive and coincidentally perfect for the music I play. Wingbass you say..?

If you do a search here you'll find it. I don't know what it is about it that makes it so 'addictive' but it's probably a combination of extreme compactness, ideal for noodling in front of the telly, crystal clear and very hi-if sound and lovely ergonomic feel. I should think the Taylor is the same - just ideal for grabbing and playing. 

The wing achieves its 16" scale length by basically being a full sized bass chopped off at the 12th fret. However being an octave above doesn't sound skinny and light at all; I was expecting to be disappointed but it's all I've played for months.