Why become a member? ×

P bass sound in a J bass pickup

cLepto-bass

I am currently exploring the idea of modifying the sound of my (old (and better) shape) Sandberg JM5 with stock Delano pickus.

Overall, I love the sounds of the bass. Its capable of pretty much any bass sound I can care to imagine... but with one notable exception, that straight up gnarly P bass sound. Therefore I am thinking of making some kind of change. My first thought was to purchase the Delano P shape pickup but I am not 100% convinced by rerouting the body and having to replace the pickguard etc..

This leaves me with option B, a P bass sound in a Jazz bass shape... Does such a thing exist? I have read a few product descriptions online but I am hoping to tap into the collective wisdom of the Basschat community. Does anyone have any direct experience on this kind of thing? 

Option C would be to buy a new P bass flavour bass but hoping to avoid that for the time being.

Any help would be greatly received. Many thanks.

Ah, this old problem. I would have thought that a split coil affair in a J housing would get you pretty close. Of course the size of a P pickup is part of that tone, so getting that tone from a J sized p/up is always going to be hard, but something with chunky poles might help, like these perhaps http://www.delano.de/products.html?&cHash=54bcaec391&tx_smtdelano_pi1[cat]=1&tx_smtdelano_pi1[series]=5&tx_smtdelano_pi1[strings]=5&tx_smtdelano_pi1[system]=34

37 minutes ago, uzzell said:

...I love the sounds of the bass. Its capable of pretty much any bass sound I can care to imagine... but with one notable exception, that straight up gnarly P bass sound....

May I be the first to suggest the only way to get a gnarly P-Bass sound is with a gnarly P-Bass? Probably not what you wanted to hear. :)

Option 'C'.

Edited by discreet
Consistency

2 minutes ago, discreet said:

May I be the first to suggest the only way to get a gnarly P-Bass sound is with a gnarly P-Bass? Probably not what you wanted to hear. :)

Option 'C'.

Generally, I am finding myself in agreement. The issue (as always) is finances...

I recently played a Fender American Elite P and it blew me away. As did the price tag. Since when did basses become so pricey?!

25 minutes ago, uzzell said:

The issue (as always) is finances... Since when did basses become so pricey?!

Aye, there's the rub. There are good examples to be had at different price points, though. But as you already know, the trick is to get out there and play them, which can be easier said than done depending on location, time, etc. Some of the Squier Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe instruments can be very good if you spend time getting the set-up just right, fit your choice of strings and so on. If you're looking for an occasional P hit rather than your 'number one' instrument, they're a great option.

The Fender Classic 50s basses are excellent, even more so the Road Worns. Don't be put off that they're Mexican, the Road Worns in particular play as well and sound as good as anything from the US and are a real bargain, particularly if you can pick one up second hand.

Edited by discreet

Not sure how the DiMarzio Model J is, but if it`s like its P-Bass cousin, as in it adds mids and removes some highs then I`d say this would be getting nearer, but as above pickups in series or buy a Precision is the real way. The Seymour Duncan Hot Stack pickup is hum-cancelling and adds in a lot of "size" to the sound so that may also be a way of getting more from the neck pickup position.

Aside from what people have said, and the obvious get a P bass, you may get closer with a pick up change.

Delano’s are quite HiFi sounding. Sandberg’s own pups are more vintage, Haüssel which they also use have more oomph and more mid range push.

Ulyate pick ups, Joe Barden or Lindy Fralin’s are 3 other great makes aside from the usual bandits which may give you what you need.

Dropping them in is a darn site better than routing a bass.

if you like Sandberg’s (and I do) then look out for a passive VS4, great bass

23 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

A well worn discussion, if you could get a P sound from a Jazz they wouldn't bother making P's but the nearest I've got is to fit a push pull switch to make the pickups in series

Not necessarily. Jazz bass shape offers alternative aesthetic and there are significant differences in the neck, nut width etc...

If you've got a great Jazz bass the only thing you are certain of doing, if you chop and change the pickups, is to mess up the reason for you liking this bass in the first place.

You can get Jazz basses with P and PJ pickups but IMO the better option is to get an equally good Precision.

Yeh, cheers for all the insight people. I think in the interest of balance I will save the pennies for a suitable second hand P Bass. I was hoping to avoid the possibility of having to transport multiple basses but it looks to be the most suitable way, especially given that my bass as it is is all I need it to be and dont want to risk negatively affecting it.

Thanks

The first thing I would try to get a more 'precision' type sound out of a bass with jazz-style pickups would be to add a series parallel switch (like the fender S1 switch) with the original pickups. This might give something approaching the kind of sound you're after when the pickups are in series.

14 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

The first thing I would try to get a more 'precision' type sound out of a bass with jazz-style pickups would be to add a series parallel switch (like the fender S1 switch) with the original pickups. This might give something approaching the kind of sound you're after when the pickups are in series.

Interesting. Do you know of any online reseources showing how this can be done?

13 minutes ago, uzzell said:

Interesting. Do you know of any online reseources showing how this can be done?

I did it to my Jazz, plenty of info online about it and the push pull volume pots a easy to come by, you'll need a soldering iron though, just google it

6 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I did it to my Jazz, plenty of info online about it and the push pull volume pots a easy to come by, you'll need a soldering iron though, just google it

Okay, thats good information. I will have a search now. 

One further quick question... my J & M style pickups are run by an active 2 band preamp (as is the way with active Sandbergs). Is this likely to complicate the matter when it comes to adding series/parrellel switching? 

5 minutes ago, uzzell said:

Okay, thats good information. I will have a search now. 

One further quick question... my J & M style pickups are run by an active 2 band preamp (as is the way with active Sandbergs). Is this likely to complicate the matter when it comes to adding series/parrellel switching? 

can't help you there I'm afraid, mines a passive, maybe someone else will know or email Sandberg

If you ask an electric bass player which bass sounds like a double bass you'll get dozens of suggestions.

Ask a double bass player which electric bass sounds like a double bass they will say non of them.

Same with the Precision.

You can fiddle around with the pickups and pre amps on any bass as much as you like but only a P is going to sound like a P.