Why become a member? ×

Withdrawn please lock
£2900

drewk_ie

For sale is my uber rare 84 Musicman Cutlass I fretless bass, modulus graphite neck, black, 2 band EQ/Preamp, three way switch installed for phase reverse/ tap coil (similar to my Cutlass II), pickup has been upgraded to a Bartonili.

Lovely to play, full of that mwah that you would expect from any Pre Ernie ball fretless bass, notes resonate on and on and on ....

B0206.... serial number, 83 body, Neck is Jan '84

Comes with non original case

Please feel free to PM with any other questions.

May withdraw at any time if I come to my senses! 

Thanks for looking. 

Edited by drewk_ie
Text

2 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

Has this been defretted please?

Hi Mark, i don't believe that fretless  was offered as option when the Cutlass basses were in brief production back in '83/'84 if it has been 'defretted' it's flawless! 

Thanks Drew. I've found some more photos and description at guitarchimp.com confirming it's been defretted. I tried one of these new at the Bass Centre in Wapping back in 1984 and have always wanted one. The neck just adds even more bite and thump to the pre EB Stingray sound. I'd have to put the frets back in though as my playing technique isn't up to fretless I'm sorry to say. 

Hi Mark, yeah you've gotta love the cutlass bass, have a cutlass I fretted and it's by far the best pre EB bass I've played. 

Im getting the feeling if I sell this I'll regret it, as I doubt I'd find another fretless one again and in such good nic! 

On 04/01/2018 at 14:26, drewk_ie said:

Hi Mark, i don't believe that fretless  was offered as option when the Cutlass basses were in brief production back in '83/'84 if it has been 'defretted' it's flawless! 

On 04/01/2018 at 15:35, Sparky Mark said:

Thanks Drew. I've found some more photos and description at guitarchimp.com confirming it's been defretted. I tried one of these new at the Bass Centre in Wapping back in 1984 and have always wanted one. The neck just adds even more bite and thump to the pre EB Stingray sound. I'd have to put the frets back in though as my playing technique isn't up to fretless I'm sorry to say. 

So just to be clear, this is a defret yes? I was starting to look down the back of the sofa for bass tokens.....

4 hours ago, Beedster said:

So just to be clear, this is a defret yes? I was starting to look down the back of the sofa for bass tokens.....

Hi Beedster, 

I'm not sure, the one advertised on guitarchimp is an '83, mine is an '84. If it is a defret, it's a damn fine job!

I'm guessing it is a defret as I don't believe a fretless was an option for the short production run. 

I'm pretty sure it's the same bass with the same modifications; defret, Bartolini replacement pick up and same phase switch. It even has the same marks on the rear edges of the headstock. As Musicman didn't produce a fretless Cutlass in those days it would be highly unlikely that two would receive exactly the same mods independently. Body date on yours is also 1983 (6/6/83).

Edited by Sparky Mark

On 4 Jan 2018 at 15:26, drewk_ie said:

Hi guys, fretless was an option for the Cutlass back in the day. I remember some bloke in Finland or somewhere had one with an unmarked fretless neck and I also found this old listing which shows the unmarked neck too. 

https://reverb.com/item/1538845-music-man-cutlass-1977-fretless

Obviously the '1977' is a mistake though.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2018 at 15:57, matski said:

Hi guys, fretless was an option for the Cutlass back in the day. I remember some bloke in Finland or somewhere had one with an unmarked fretless neck and I also found this old listing which shows the unmarked neck too. 

https://reverb.com/item/1538845-music-man-cutlass-1977-fretless

Obviously the '1977' is a mistake though.

Cheers Matski, 

Was hoping that a fellow cutlass player would shed some light on this. Think I'll withdraw the ad as I don't think I'll find another fretless cutlass easily!