Why become a member? ×

Danuman

Hi all,

I’m currently awaiting the arrival of a new laptop. Unfortunately, my interface/mixing console connects with FireWire 400.

I was just going to get an adapter, but I found out I’m going to need two! It should work, I suppose, but perhaps there’s a more elegant solution with some additional benefits...

Anybody know of something like a good hub/docking station that features FireWire?

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan, you should be able to use a FireWire 800/400 cable and then whatever other adapters you need. I’ve heard that even chaining Thunderbolt 3 > Thunderbolt 2 > FireWire 800/400 cable works in most cases.

If you want ‘elegance’ then you’ll probably need to pay for the privilege ;) Something like the OWC docks are very well regarded if you have money to spend, but I’m sure there are other cheaper adapter docks on the market too.

Connecting stuff is usually relatively easy. What’s often more tricky is finding driver software to run your old interface on a much newer computer. If the driver software is available, then rest should be a cakewalk.

Exactly! That OWC looks quite nice, if a tad expensive.

I hadn’t looked into this stuff before today, so I’m not sure what to look for. (Or watch out for!)

Good point, Sibob. I thought I’d leave out branding and such, but I suppose it might help to know. The new laptop will be sporting Thunderbolt 3 ports. 

Edited by Danuman

USB-C to FireWire is not possible without using two dongles (and that's with a 400-800 FireWire cable). As such, you might want to consider, unless you want to spend £60+ on adapters, you might want to consider upgrading your interface along with your computer :)

Apple may introduce a USB-C to FireWire 800 adapter at some point, but wishful thinking possibly.

Si

Cheers, that is definitely not what I wanted to hear, but if that’s true you have potentially just saved me a lot of faffing about.

I did see an apple branded TB>FW800 adapter, but does that mean there’s a pertinent difference between TB versions 2 and 3, and USB-C?

In the short term I’d certainly like to keep using the interface I’ve got. It’s large, works fine and I just blew all my money on a new laptop! :biggrin:

6 hours ago, Danuman said:

Cheers, that is definitely not what I wanted to hear, but if that’s true you have potentially just saved me a lot of faffing about.

I did see an apple branded TB>FW800 adapter, but does that mean there’s a pertinent difference between TB versions 2 and 3, and USB-C?

In the short term I’d certainly like to keep using the interface I’ve got. It’s large, works fine and I just blew all my money on a new laptop! :biggrin:

Thunderbolt 2 and 3 use different connections. TB 2 is over Apple display port, and TB3 is over USB-C. As such, the current TB2 to FW800 won't work for you on its own.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Thanks 1

I have the same issue myself.

Currently looking into upgrading my old 2010 iMac sometime this year (which will mean Thunderbolt 3 ports)... but want to keep using my equally old analog/digital mixer, which uses a FireWire 400 port.

I’ve contacted Apple, the mixing desk manufacturer and various user groups. Consensus is that I my options would be to either:

1) Chain together a Thunderbolt 3 > Thunderbolt 2 > Thunderbolt 2/FireWire 800 adapter > FireWire 800/400 cable. It won’t look pretty but it will work for the interface I’m using.

2) Buy an OWC dock which will do the same thing in one box.

BUT... there currently aren’t any reliable software drivers for the interface that are compatible with the latest Mac OS (High Sierra). So that’s the stumbling block for me.

And that’s also partly why I’m now considering shifting everything from my mixing desk onwards over to analog, which isn’t plagued by the persistent need to keep pace with changing interface ports, software patches/drivers to anywhere near the same extent. But that’s another story ;) 

• Thanks 1

Aw, it’s never really straightforward is it. :(

Edit:

Whoops, you beat me to it.

I guess that means springing for a bunch of adapters and hoping for the best. I’ve looked into newer models of the mixing desk I’m using, but that’s no good either. Few upgrades, lots of money and it still uses FireWire. A new mixing desk is out of the question for some time to come, unfortunately.

Thanks for the help guys!

Edited by Danuman

If you say interface/mixer with FW then I suspect that you have a Midas Venice F. If so make sure you run your Macbook on OS 10.11, not 10.12. The latest Midas drivers only work upto 10.11. There seems to be no support for higher OS since Behringer took over Midas. If you have a different interface then ignore this commen (didn´t read all posts, sorry).

Edited by jensenmann

Haha, yes, why not. I've been doing some reading and it seems you may be right.
I happen to have a Mackie mixing desk, but I suppose the same principles apply. It's not looking great.

On the plus side, a shiny new toy has arrived. Here's hoping I figure out how to get back to recording soon!

Well, I just received a reply from Mackie Support (who were amazingly quick, by the way!) stating that the Onyx is only supported up to Windows 7/OS X 10.8, however,  "[...] the Firewire card in the Onyx uses Mac Core Audio as the driver. In theory, this should still work with newer Mac OS, even though it is not officially supported."

Suck it and see, I suppose...