Why become a member? ×

Jack-of-all-trades 4

tobiewharton

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 13:50, Delberthot said:

I've been in wedding & function bands for about the past 23 years. Anyone who's been in that type of band knows that you can be playing one style one minute and something completely different the next.

In that time I've owned about 130 basses and the right bass for the band was the one I had at the time and to alter the sound I've moved my hand towards the neck or the bridge and played either heavier or lighter.

My advice would be to find a bass that you really like to play, that feels good and you can comfortably play all night. Chances are the audience won't notice the difference anyway.

Sometimes we get too caught up in trying to find something that we don't really need. I know that I was incredibly guilty of it in the past. When I change basses it's for the hell of it and not the sound. Any half decent bass will sound decent through the PA.

Once I had it out of my system I started enjoying playing more instead of trying to find something that I thought I needed but had all along

Absolutely.  I confess that this is most definitely not a 'need' situation! - if anything, it's a feeble attempt to justify acquiring an active 4.  All of my current basses (and those moved to pastures new) do the job perfectly well for the purposes of pleasing audiences, but as a died-in-the-wool bass man I'm resigned to satisfying my geekery too and I'd just really like a modern-looking, active four in my arsenal again.*

*Don't tell Mrs. W.

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

Nah, I had a Japanese one from 1986. I think the later one were made in Taiwan.

And there is a transitional period where they were made in Taiwan with parts from the Japanese version - the black one in the link is like that, you can tell by the pickups.

A good bass with good pickups and a good pre will cover a multitude of sins. Outside your budget, but personally I find my Sadowsky MV4 to be the most versatile bass I own - if it had a P/J setup I think it would be unbeatable. Planning to put a Sadowsky pre in my Dingwall Super J5 to have a five-string versatile tone monster too.