Why become a member? ×

Cab re-wire. Am I way off?

StealthDJ

I have a fairly well-used SVT610HLF cab, on which both Speakon sockets have finally stopped locking, so I guess it's time to replace them.  While I'm in there, though, I had an idea for a mod.

I run the cab with an SVT-7PRO head and am constantly paranoid about damaging the cab, given that the head's nominal output is 1000W and the cab's only rated to 600W.  Also (and this is more a wishlist item), it'd be nice to run more than one cab simultaneously should we play in a venue big enough to do so (it's an AC/DC tribute, so more cabs are always better), but the cab is 4 ohm - as is the minimum load on the head.

So, given that the cab runs 6ohm speakers in 3 parallel groups of two (12 x 12 x 12 in parallel gives 4 ohm), it occurred to me that I could re-wire into 2 parallel groups of 3 - 18 x 18 in parallel would give 9 ohm.  Not the ideal 8, but close enough and the head would only be putting out 500W at that impedance, or 1000W into two cabs if I mod another one similarly.

So what've I missed?  This seems just a little too simple, somehow...

And no, I don't want an 810E.  Or at least, I do, but my back, the guitarist's back and the boot of my car say that's not a good idea.

Seems logical to me. 

In the method you describe, all 6 speakers should still put out the same volume as each other but would show more resistance to the amp, and enable you to add another 8ohm cab to your rig.

Obviously, you'll need to turn the master output up a little higher than before when using the modded 6x10.  But as has been said on here many times before, the actual audible difference between 500w and 1000w is not nearly as dramatic as you might think.

2 hours ago, StealthDJ said:

I run the cab with an SVT-7PRO head and am constantly paranoid about damaging the cab,

My suggestion is to do one job at a time.

An observation: as you've been running this rig for awhile I'd stop being paranoid and just carry on being careful. As you haven't blown this cab up yet I'd keep doing what you're doing and stop worrying.

My other suggestion is to sell the 610 and get a BF Four10 and unleash the power of your amp.

You're more likely to damage a speaker by driving it with an amplifier that is not powerful enough and is constantly clipping. Remember that your head will only be delivering its maximum rated power for a few milliseconds and that most decent drive units will happily tolerate short peaks of around twice their continuous rating. Also, amp manufacturers tend to inflate maximum power outputs for more showroom appeal. So I reckon you'll be fine.

PS. Could we have a moratorium on telling everyone who asks a question about cabs to buy a Barefaced, please? Other speaker cabs are available...

To be fair, I wasn't looking for "get a new cab" as an answer when asking a technical question about one particular setup.

In this instance, we're a tribute band, so it needs to be Ampeg.  But unless someone's asking 'what cab should I get', I really don't see why people insist with the 'scrap it and get something decent' response so frequently - it's really not useful.  (Admittedly, it's not limited to this forum either).

Regarding the power - we're loud on stage and while I'm careful, I know for a fact I've pushed the thing harder than I should on occasion.  I also have no control over support bands, who do tend to end up using our backline (cab only, mind you).  It'd be nice to have the piece of mind that that's not going to happen - 500W into a 600W cab is ideal, to my mind and not many other bands are going to be carrying the kind of weaponry that'll put out more than 600W at 8ohms. 

Also, given the relative price of both bits of kit, I'd rather the head expired than the cab.

I've actually figured out that if I can get hold of a 5PDT switch, I can make this selectable...

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 13:15, chris_b said:

If they are start recommending them.

Confirmation bias, anyone? I'll tell you what I use if you ask, but I won't recommend gear (have a look at my other posts if you don't believe me) because what suits me won't be for everyone and because drinking/buying by the label is a sure-fire recipe for disappointment. If you don't accept that, have a look in the market place, on eBay, etc and see how much expensive and highly regarded kit is for sale. A lot of that will have been bought by people on the strength of reviews, rather than a proper trial. After a short while, they find it's not giving them what they wanted and sell it on.

Edited by Dan Dare