Why become a member? ×

new amp....but which one.....??

ebenezer

Looking for a new amp!....in the past i have had a trace elliot ah 300 (the heavy backlit one)...super clean sound but could have been a little louder.......genz benz streamliner 900...nice polite tone, but again for me, lacked guts......now, a little mark 2, which i am fairly happy with but i would like more control and heft( there, i said it)......

I would not be adverse to an amp around the 20lb mark, eg gk rb 1001 etc.....as there is a wide choice, i need your advice.

what about the aguilar ag 700, genzler magellan 800 mesa subway ??

Edited by ebenezer

Unless you are playing very loud venues I would go with the GK 700RB II instead of the 1001. In order for me to get the proper Gk growl I had to have my 1001 way too loud whereas with the lower powered 700 it was easy to achieve and the 700 had plenty of power.

If small and light is your thing then the MB500 gets pretty close to the 700RB

I may be off the mark here but if your 300 watt Trace isn't loud enough there's something wrong, I've just having the output transistors replaced in mine after suddenly losing volume, according to the repair guy they do leak with age and are ok on low volumes but lose umph when turned up

Edited by PaulWarning

As WoT says, there's something about valves for heft, if not portability. I have been messing about more recently - using mt streamliner 900. Plugged in the bassman 135 as a change. Into my 8ohm cab, I'd guess tops 80 watts.

More heft than the Genz.

On 30/12/2017 at 11:31, chris_b said:

If you like the LM2 (I did as well) have you heard an Aguilar TH500 or even the AG700?

The new Markbass Marcus Miller 500/800 is worth a look.  It can't give you Marcus' magic fingers, but can give you his tone, also can still do little mark tone, but also does a fantastic job of a more bassy vintage vibe.  The VLE has been re-named "Old School" and now goes down to 200hz (LM3 is 250hz), so much more thumpy if you need it!

Go to a proper shop with a good range of stock and try a few. It's the only way. It's a major purchase (if you are going to consider for some of the amps referred to above, you're looking at a grand or so) so spend some time on it and don't make a purchase on someone else's say so (the Marketplace is full of nearly new stuff people bought and decided they didn't like after  a short while, probably because they listened to others' opinions). You need to find out what suits you. 

• Like 1