Why become a member? ×

Looking for lightweight combo for onstage monitoring

Keefaz

Had a few gigs lately where the sound out front has been great, but the sound onstage is awful to the extent that I (and the drummer) can barely hear the bass. I guess the little wedges you get in most small venues just aren't up to the job. So, I'm looking for a combo (I guess) that will allow me to hear what the heck I'm playing, and that can be miked up and sound good out front too. I really like turning up with just the bass and sansamp, but the drummer's just too loud. I guess the alternative is looking into in-ear monitors?

If you like the pa sound, then what about something like a QSC K12.2? Makes more sense to take your own wedge than an extra amp if you like the ampless sound.

For a more traditional combo there's always the effervescent Markbass stuff. I'm not the biggest fan of the sound myself but that's a personal thing and those little 12" combos do kind of have the  'amp as stage monitor only' thing nailed. Tiny and light.

• Like 2

For this I`d look at a Markbass CMD121P. Tiny little box, bags of power, and a much bigger sound than would be expected. Pairs nicely with Sansamp as well. Yes you can go down the route of small Class D amp head and Barefaced One10 which is a good option, but you`ll then be getting into higher expense and more gear to set up.  

May be worth looking at a "kickback" design - sloped bottom on the cab so it can face up at you, which will make it easier to hear. There are a few around. Alternatively and if you are not short of readies, you could get a Fearless F112 built - http://www.bassplayer.com/gear/1164/greenboy-audio-fearless-f112-cabinet-reviewed/48331 - and use it with a lightweight head. Would be easy enough to carry around.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes you can go down the route of small Class D amp head and Barefaced One10 which is a good option, but you`ll then be getting into higher expense and more gear to set up.  

This is what I did. I wanted the smallest, easiest and lightest setup I could get. I also wanted to be able to control my sound on stage and a powered monitor would not allow this

My amp is attached to the cab with ultra high bond tape and my wireless is attached to the amp by the same means.

It all lives in a cajon bag and gets mounted on a speaker stand so I can have it at ear level. It takes me maybe 5 minutes from arriving in the venue with my gear to powering up which means that I can help wire up the PA and lights

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

For this I`d look at a Markbass CMD121P. Tiny little box, bags of power, and a much bigger sound than would be expected. Pairs nicely with Sansamp as well. Yes you can go down the route of small Class D amp head and Barefaced One10 which is a good option, but you`ll then be getting into higher expense and more gear to set up.  

I have one of these...  highly recommended. Small, lightweight and powerful. I partner mine with an EBS Microbass pedal rather than a Sansamp, but either way it sounds great. I put mine on an angled stand and a modest pedal board sits underneath.

1 hour ago, Trueno said:

I have one of these...  highly recommended. Small, lightweight and powerful. I partner mine with an EBS Microbass pedal rather than a Sansamp, but either way it sounds great. I put mine on an angled stand and a modest pedal board sits underneath.

Cool. So you have it sitting in front of you?

20 hours ago, Keefaz said:

Cool. So you have it sitting in front of you?

I always had my pedals on set and forget... so it was fine behind me... I had to turn to use the tuner, but that was very rare during a gig. No reason why you couldn't have it in front like a monitor (depending on stage space). If it was an issue, I reckon set at 2 o' clock would work... if you're right-footed.