Why become a member? ×

Stagg EUB - after hum

Al Krow

I finally got round to lowering the bridge on my Stagg EUB today and am enjoying the lower action. 

One thing that has probably been there since the off, and I've probably simply not noticed, is a residual hum which is particularly noticeable on the lower E string. It is there whether played through the amp or just on headphones and damping the strings after plucking a note on the lower E string makes no difference.

The hum has the same pitch as the 5th fret harmonic on E string (i.e. an octave above the low A string).

Don't know if others have come across this and, if so, how you have solved?

15 minutes ago, Vinny said:

Sounds like you may need to mute the strings between the bridge and the tailpiece. They make a right racket through the piezo.

Thanks - that sounds like something definitely worth trying out. 

What do you recommend to use to provide effective muting?

I put 3 teeny cable ties around them to keep them quiet - only as I tend to be surrounded by such things - I'd imagine a bit of sponge or even a couple of elastic bands would do the trick. Assuming the picture's still there I remember someone on here coming up with a rather novel hair-clip based solution.

1 hour ago, Vinny said:

I put 3 teeny cable ties around them to keep them quiet - only as I tend to be surrounded by such things - I'd imagine a bit of sponge or even a couple of elastic bands would do the trick. Assuming the picture's still there I remember someone on here coming up with a rather novel hair-clip based solution.

15 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I've done a few mods to mine including £140 worth of Spiros but the best mod was the first one I did, chunk of grey foam that came in the box with it wedged behind the 'after length'. 

Gents - pics please! (If you don't mind?)

Those were just to move the spacing to how I preferred it, they weren't any lower, the A was still in the original position. I just dropped the bridge down and  then turned it up until it stopped buzzing, if I'm honest! (super technical, I am!)

Ok cheers. So is your bridge set as low as it can go?

The only reason I hesitated from doing that was that I thought it may lead to the equivalent of 'fret buzz', but if that is just not an issue on a fretless then I'm all for having the action set as low as possible!

Ok guys - back home after a few days away and what you said is EXACTLY right - when I dampen the strings between the bridge and tailpiece with my palm that hum goes, so cheers!!

However a thick elastic band doesn't seem to cut it, so could you let me know which mini ties you are using Vinny and or share a pic of your set up SRPete? And / or any other suggestions welcome! :) 

Cheers Vinny - where did you get yours from?

I've taken a leaf out of SRPete's suggestion book and wedged some polystyrene from the Stagg packaging. This seems to work a treat although it's not the most attractive 'fix'! But maybe I can pretty it up by either slicing off a smaller block using a sharp Stanley knife or something similar so as not get a mangled mess of polystyrene(!) and / or get my one of my kids to put some interesting 'graffiti' on the white block so that it becomes a 'feature' rather than an eye sore!

Stagg EUB.JPG

Edited by Al Krow

Lots of info on this topic on the Stagg mega thread on TalkBass.When I had a Stagg I used a piece of soft foam but others have tried everything from small stuffed toys(really!) to bits of cloth to various sponges.It does make a difference when you get the right material in the right location.My Yamaha SLB 200 came with a foam mute(from Yamaha) but I replaced it with a sturdier piece of foam with cuts in it to hold it on the strings.The depth of the cuts make a difference and it's easy and cheap to adjust.

Good luck. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

As you can see from the picture of mine, I've currently got the body rest but not the arm rest set up. 

That's how I used mine, I had both, but didn't bother with the left one. I never had a stand for mine, so moving into thumb position mostly consisted of holding the thing up!

• 1 year later...