Why become a member? ×

Music stands - are they as common as I think?

lowdowner

Personally i really dont like them BUT in certain circumstances i fully inderstand them. 

I couldnt dep for love nor money (nowhere near good enough at that) so fully understand them being used for that.

Orchestras etc and backing bands - fair enough if theyre playing for other acts and support etc.

I do think theres better ways than a music stand with the perforated holes in the back with a big book on it that couldnt be anything else other than a music stand plonked in the middle of the stage area though. They could be more subtly done / disguised / hidden with a bit of creativity - especially now we have tablets and ipads etc.

Each to their own though.

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

... the middle aged rocker that declares the stands terrible because he has played for forty years without one, yeah and that was when the most recent song in your set was written! :facepalm:

You've clearly Googled me ;) 

"middle aged"?? You're too kind! :)

Story so far. Music stands are "not good" but iPads are OK. The big acts have been using monitors for decades.

So if I had the latest technology or a stage crew running the monitoring systems I'd be accepted, but because I'm a poor, penniless, amnesiac Luddite I get told I'm uncool!!

29 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Are there enough musicians as talented as SteveK to cover every band member in every band from the tickled trout to Wembley every day of the year?

I'm with SteveK in principle. But if I were a jazz guy I'd use a stand, if only to let the audience know that what I'm playing isn't just a load of random old crap I'm making up as I go along.

• Haha 2

One of their downsides, they're as effective as drumist's equipment for scratching instruments, invariable clang appallingly when you drop them, and are extremely useful for scratching the inside (or outside) of your car - or van if you're an SVT plus fridge user......

ive decided to learn my dep set for NYE properly and place cues on my iPhone for those little difficult moments - then I won't have to use the music stand. Just hope no one thinks I'm texting between songs if I have to refer to my 'notes'!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, discreet said:

I'm with SteveK in principle. But if I were a jazz guy I'd use a stand, if only to let the audience know that what I'm playing isn't just a load of random old crap I'm making up as I go along.

I thought that WAS what jazz was about?

5 hours ago, discreet said:

And, of course, if make a goof you can just look at your crib sheet in disgust, tut, and raise your eyes in a kind of, "Well, that's what's written here" kind of way. :)

Perhaps there is a question of how a song is learnt. If you’ve read it to play it, then it’s more familiar to read from a page. If you’ve learnt it by ear then you hands are one step ahead of you.

if you’re unfamiliar with what you’re playing at a gig, then you’re either incompetent( if it’s your regular set) or a quality musician capable with dealing with the unknown. The latter should of course be allowed any tools to make the performance the best it can.

safe.

11 hours ago, drTStingray said:

image.jpeg.4ca4b7ca20a3eebba62614edb2388e84.jpeg

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the dual stool performance of Rog and Val Doonican despite this being a frequent occurrence on weekend TV in the 70s. 

MB1.

Rog and Val duet on "Hey you get offa my stool" circa 1970.

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, discreet said:

Val is wearing what is known as a 'light entertainment' jacket.

MB1.

Yep he can certainly "Walk Tall" in that!

its pre Cardie and Polo era (of which Val became a pioneer)

.....and still not a music stand in sight.