Why become a member? ×

Bridgehouse

Mrs B outdid herself this year - she go me a Mono M80 for gigging duties. Very Chuffed.

However, as a complete surprise she also bought me an Electro Harmonix Battalion Preamp/DI pedal. 

I swapped out my Ampeg SCR-DI on my nano board for it today. Plugged straight into the K10.2 via DI. 

Compression is pretty good. I'd say as good as onboard amp compression. 

EQ stage is very good. Responsive, adds some nice colour, and gives a really nice preamp boost. I'd say it's not quite Ampeg SVT, but it has shades of that vintage sound about it.

However, the distortion/drive section is so much better than the Scrambler on the SCR-DI that it's actually a bit comical. More control with Level/Blend/Tone/Drive (and a selector so you can set it pre or post EQ or Dry with blend) and a proper level control for the DI out - it's usable. No, scrub that - that's doing it a disservice - it's very very usable. I really liked the warm tone I was getting with about half drive and 50/50 blend and 50% level. Really nice. 

I actually wasn't expecting much as they are one of the cheaper Preamp/DI pedals but I was more than pleasantly surprised by it. It does what it's supposed to do, and it does it really well. Thumbs up from me - it's staying on my board for now instead of the SCR-DI. I'll rehearse and gig with it and let's see if it stays on!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...