Why become a member? ×

TC toneprint editor/phone app

MoonBassAlpha

After faffing around with the editor for my new (to me) Spectracomp to get settings that would play nicely with my Trace acoustic cube (5" speaker), I thought "great, now how do you get that patch, or Toneprint onto the phone so I can beam it to the pedal via the app"

I fount this on TCs site:

"TCELECTRONIC.png

TonePrint Editor: Can I send my self-edited TonePrints to the TonePrint app?

Question

Is it possible to send my self-edited TonePrints from the TonePrint Editor to the TonePrint app on my iPhone or Android phone?

Answer

No, this is not possible: self-edited TonePrints can be saved within the TonePrint editor, which means that they are stored in a specific location on your Mac or PC, but unfortunately they cannot be exported or moved to any other location, including our iPhone/Android app."

That's a tad disappointing :( I suppose I could plough through all the other Toneprints to find one that does a similar job, but this was a quite specific task I set out to achieve.

It is just sending a bunch of parameters to the pedal, why wouldn't they want you to do things this way, like the online user-made patches for PODs, for example?

It is the one frustrating thing about it, similarly there is no way to download or store your present set up on the pedal. I have sent a few emails to the technical department and get the impression others have as well so hopefully it will be upgraded at some point.

It’s a massive oversight on the part of TC, who have been made aware long ago by consumers that it would be us full functionality to have. There’s no real excuse for it as far as I’m concerned - other than the fact the iPhone/Android app is quite crippled functionality-wise compared to the iPad/PC/Mac versions, but it’s surely something TC could add.

In contrast, Source Audio have nailed their mobile app. You can edit all parameters directly on your phone (there’s a lot!) as well as share your patches with the outside world easily. It’s just a shame they don’t make a compressor as I’m sure it would have the potential to be a TC killer!

That said, I do love my spectracomp.

42 minutes ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

@CameronJ do you use one of their Toneprints, or default, or your own edit?

I use one of the TonePrints I found in the iPhone app. To be honest I don’t know enough about compression to feel confident creating my own! I spent forever A/Bing prints to find ones which didn’t add any hiss to my signal chain. Out of those, my favourites were “Hold My Neon Mule” by MonoNeon and “Born Again Compressor” by Nik West.

1 hour ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

@CameronJ do you use one of their Toneprints, or default, or your own edit?

I've had great results with several of the SpectraComp tone prints; Captain East is good for subtle compression with some of the dry signal blended back in (parallel compression), Fed Comp is an ultra transparent subtle tone print, Butterknife is my current favourite for a warm, retro tone. My favourite over the past few months has been Muscle Comp which has a massive punch that slices through the mix brilliantly. Muscle Comp adds some additional high end that I personally prefer to eq back out. I've used all these playing finger style with both active and passive basses. 

I'm now using my own custom patch that is based on Muscle Comp but with the top end boost cut back down, a slight boost to the mids and the dry signal blended in at about 20% (I think). I'm not sure that I know enough about compression to build a tone print from scratch but if you find a tone print you like you can fine tune it to your own taste as I've done. 

Thanks Kodiakblair . I have indeed just not long got the BG250115 . Ive not downloaded any Toneprints to the amp as yet but I have downloaded the app to my phone . If I were to instal say for instance Duff McKagan and Mono Neons tone prints on 1 and 2 on the amp , does this mean then that Im stuck with them ? Or at some point can I delete and add a different tone ? 

You can change them as often as you want, what you can’t do is download/ save the existing ones FROM the amp/ pedal. If you are using one of the stock ones and know which it is then there is no problem. The problem comes when you have something you like but like to have a play to see if it could be improved but don’t know what it is.

• 2 years later...
On 27/12/2017 at 17:18, CameronJ said:

In contrast, Source Audio have nailed their mobile app. You can edit all parameters directly on your phone (there’s a lot!) as well as share your patches with the outside world easily. It’s just a shame they don’t make a compressor as I’m sure it would have the potential to be a TC killer!

Apologies for the zombie thread revival - they do now have a compressor (not multiband like the TC but still...).

Edited by Quatschmacher

22 minutes ago, GisserD said:

most source audio pedals have two indipendent channels, so is there one comp per channel? or is it global?

if its one per channel, then it could it be setup as a MB comp?

One per channel, as per the diagram Source Audio shared. Not sure if that means running one channel into the other would achieve the same as a dedicated multiband compressor though.  

Edited by Quatschmacher

6 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

One per channel, as per the diagram Source Audio shared. Not sure if that means running one channel into the other would achieve the same as a dedicated multiband compressor though.  

i was thinking paralell paths, send the highs through one side, and the lows the other?