Why become a member? ×

I thought I was so over the Bass Uke thang........

Owen

........... however, things change.

Some time ago I bought a Chennell Arco Bass.

X0iBqrh.jpg

It was proper lush, but in the BC way, it moved on and then something else came, and then that moved on. You know how it is. However, the build quality and aesthetics were something to behold and I thought of it often and fondly.

I had also been thinking of commissioning a very small EUB with Uke Bass strings on it. But I had put all that behind me. And then I saw this

sxUJDwZ.jpg

I fought it for a bit, but as we all know, resistance is futile. Toby is making me a 5 string one with a curved fingerboard for a very small Double Bass vibe.

It will have an Fdeck preamp mounted under the fingerboard. Nice and discreet, like. Toby does lovely things with lovely wood.

I am excited.

• Like 4

VXIa87A.jpg

VS4j6yc.jpg

zZTt78D.jpg

We are have reached discussion about where the "stop" on the neck/body join will be. On a DB it is traditionally either where D is on the G string or where Eb is on the G string. Toby usually has the "stop" on the model this is based on at the octave. As someone who is used to a D stop on a DB that would freak me out completely. I get edgy enough moving away from the dusty end as it is but with no safety net of familiar physical clues I would not shift.

The problem here is that this puts the whole proportion out of whack - it all gets a bit of a Picasso vibe. All the bits are there but not quite as you expect to see them. Here is a pic of bridge and F hole placement with the octave stop

uMb0XXN.jpg

and here is one with the same placement with a D stop

XjZoPva.jpg

I got a bit concerned here but eventually Toby came up with the superb idea of a stepped heel so that I get my D stop reference and then the actual stop is probably the octave.

Happy days!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, my machine heads have arrived from Kala in the US and I have now posted them and a set of Pahahoes down to Toby. He has reached here.

tVHbG9u.jpg

xp2n4dG.jpg

tSYe5Q5.jpg

Toby is ready to do the neck once the machine heads land because then he can get the headstock right.

Exciting times indeed.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sadly I don't think it will be ready by then. I think it will be structuraly but the fdeck on board preamp in nano format with an extra passive tone control I have had built is proving problematic and needs more work. Sad times :(