Why become a member? ×

Thomastik Jazz Rounds

bassmayhem

The Thomastik Jazz Rounds are remarkable strings indeed! I read about them and a friend challenged me to try them. When reading the specs, they looked very peculiar, with very odd dimensions compared to what I normally use. Here are the dimensions for 34" scale strings:

C .029, G .043, D .051, A .068, E .89, B .118

The winding wire is also very thin compared to other bass strings, more like a guitar string. The E- and B-string, and maybe the A-string have double winding. The core is also softer than other strings, so the feel is very, very different. You have to adapt your playing technique to a softer touch with these strings, but the reward is a very nice, big, full and round tone. Almost upright bass like when played in the right way. Nice deep bass, full mid, no shrill and harsh highs, very balanced. More bite than flats. Not for slapping! I use the Thomastik Jazz Rounds on my hollowbody and chambered basses, a Lakland Hollowbody and my Tom Clement "Anne" six string. I will try a set on my acoustic bass guitar too, when it is time for new strings.

jazz-bass-round-wound.png?itok=zccQx6K7

Anyway, I hope my little review/reflection plays on someone's strings... ;) 

Edited by bassmayhem
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, The59Sound said:

To me they're pretty much unplayable - really floppy light gauge strings that you can't slap on, dig in or downtune. I think Super Brights 40-100 are the next step up at least in tension terms. 

Definitely floppy compared to ordinary strings. As I said: not for slapping. Not for diggin' in either. Played with a softer touch you get a nice tone, but they are not for everyone.

I love them dearly. They are my favourite string ever. I am aware that this sounds like a teenager discussing their love life on Facebook. But this is not a crush. I really do love them. The low tension is what does it for me. I could not believe it when I tried them. It was like the string I had been waiting for.

• 3 years later...

I play jazz flats and jazz rounds. Every now and then I try something else but I always go back to them. I have to set the action a bit higher due to the low tension but it's a small price to pay. Thomastiks are the bomb in tone and feel. Possibly not a slap string but I'm fine with that as I'm pretty much a pure fingerstyle player.