Why become a member? ×

Fake logos on instruments

prowla

12 minutes ago, karlfer said:

Looking at this headstock (one of millions) somebody needs to have a word with them naughty Squier folk . Or Fender folk :|

preview.jpg

Not really, Fender and Squier are legally and financially linked, Limelight afaik have no legal right to use the Fender logo.

*waits for discreet to tell me again that limelight have there own logo*, every limelight I've seen including Discreet's had a Fender logo.

1 minute ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Not really, Fender and Squier are legally and financially linked, Limelight afaik have no legal right to use the Fender logo.

*waits for discreet to tell me again that limelight have there own logo*, every limelight I've seen including Discreet's had a Fender logo.

I couldn't find an emoticon for tongue in cheek.

• Like 1

Blimey........

what I don't get on this thread is the volume of people supporting the idea of having a non Fender, for instance, with a fake logo/trade mark. I don't get why anyone would want such a thing in the first place........

There is clearly unlikely to be anyone fooled by such an item on sale in an enthusiast forum - the real problem comes in a few years time if they appear on something like eBay and the innocent chap who knows very little about basses buys one thinking it's the real thing.

I'm sure there'll be loads of howls of 'not possible' and 'buyer beware' etc etc - however there's lots of true fakers making money out of selling poor Chinese copies to unsuspecting or otherwise buyers so it's very clear that supporting or turning a blind eye to the idea of having fake logos on instruments is a slightly strange mind set as far as I can see.

I remember a very long thread about this subject before and someone pointed out the lack of Nash and Sadowskis with fake Fender logos - so it does appear to be limited to people putting logos on cheaper basses to make them resemble a more expensive item. 

1 minute ago, drTStingray said:

Blimey........

what I don't get on this thread is the volume of people supporting the idea of having a non Fender, for instance, with a fake logo/trade mark. I don't get why anyone would want such a thing in the first place........

There is clearly unlikely to be anyone fooled by such an item on sale in an enthusiast forum - the real problem comes in a few years time if they appear on something like eBay and the innocent chap who knows very little about basses buys one thinking it's the real thing.

I'm sure there'll be loads of howls of 'not possible' and 'buyer beware' etc etc - however there's lots of true fakers making money out of selling poor Chinese copies to unsuspecting or otherwise buyers so it's very clear that supporting or turning a blind eye to the idea of having fake logos on instruments is a slightly strange mind set as far as I can see.

I remember a very long thread about this subject before and someone pointed out the lack of Nash and Sadowskis with fake Fender logos - so it does appear to be limited to people putting logos on cheaper basses to make them resemble a more expensive item. 

Nash got a C & D several years ago. And as to them being "quality" some previous owners would disagree.

34 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

If we acknowledge that Prowla feels strongly about something that the vast majority of BC don't give two hoots about, can we forget all this and move on?

Can we?

Please?

I've tried a couple of times, acknowledged that the current rules & position cover it, but there keep being new (or should I say repeated old) questions.

(Some folks certainly seem to be quite vociferous in saying they don't give two hoots about it!)

I am sorry to say I have recently fallen for such shinannigans, I brought a Fender Custom shop 1963 Precision bass secondhand, with all the certificates and case goodies, it now turns out the bass was actually built in 2016 and contains no genuine 1963 parts at all, I can't believe I fell for such a con, should I burn the darned thing now so no future potential owner can be deceived in the same way I clearly have been?

I seem to have made this mistake before, I brought a Fender 50's classic Precision bass that also turned out not to be made in the 50's I didn't like the bridge, the pick up or the sticky reverse wind tuners, I replaced them all with better quality parts (Gotoh and Lindy Fralin) do I still own a Fender Precision or is that also an unsaleable copy, please help, confused of Northampton?

Edited by Roger2611
Edited for red wine spelling!
  • Like 3

So if someone replaces a neck on a genuine Fender, that is a neck not made by Fender but one that looks like Fender to every little detail; and whacks a Fender decal on it. Isn't that a Fender anymore, even  though  the body, electronics and all hardware including  neck tuners are original Fender?

3 minutes ago, SH73 said:

So if someone replaces a neck on a genuine Fender, that is a neck not made by Fender but one that looks like Fender to every little detail; and whacks a Fender decal on it. Isn't that a Fender anymore, even  though  the body, electronics and all hardware including  neck tuners are original Fender?

It would be a Bitsa just like a Limelight.

27 minutes ago, Roger2611 said:

I am sorry to say I have recently fallen for such shinannigans, I brought a Fender Custom shop 1963 Precision bass secondhand, with all the certificates and case goodies, it now turns out the bass was actually built in 2016 and contains no genuine 1963 parts at all, I can't believe I fell for such a con, should I burn the darned thing now so no future potential owner can be deceived in the same way I clearly have been?

I seem to have made this mistake before, I brought a Fender 50's classic Precision bass that also turned out not to be made in the 50's I didn't like the bridge, the pick up or the sticky reverse wind tuners, I replaced them all with better quality parts (Gotoh and Lindy Fralin) do I still own a Fender Precision or is that also an unsaleable copy, please help, confused of Northampton?

9 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

It would be a Bitsa just like a Limelight.

If Limelights are bitsas then they are very nice bitsas. Unlike Fenders (which are mass produced) Limelights are put together with much care and attention to detail. To make them look like mass-produced Fenders. :D

5 minutes ago, discreet said:

If Limelights are bitsas then they are very nice bitsas. Unlike Fenders (which are mass produced) Limelights are put together with much care and attention to detail. To make them look like mass-produced Fenders. :D

That's true but they are Bitsas no more, no less. The bits are mass produced bits but they've been mass produced by someone else.

I've kept my real fender and gigged it loads where most limelights have been sold on. 

Edited by stingrayPete1977

• ped locked this topic