Why become a member? ×

Fake logos on instruments

prowla

4 minutes ago, Paul S said:

The problem, as I see it, is that the OP believes he is right and on-one appears to be agreeing with him.  Rather than thinking 'oh well, horses for courses' there is much digging in of heels and citing more and more extreme examples to show that Basschat is, indeed, going to Hell in a handcart by - yes - aiding and abetting criminals in this fashion.  We are all sinners.

Well, you haven't read all of the thread then; there have been some in agreement and the rules covering it have been cited by the mods.

All that's left then is a group of people arguing that it's OK to turn a blind eye to the rules (which have been quoted and linked) and the law (which has also been quoted and linked).

If you've got some time over the hols, try watching 12 Angry Men - it's a great movie.

5 minutes ago, prowla said:

The old something is wrong but it's OK because nobody was hurt ploy...

But (at least) one was bought believing it to be a real Fender and they all break the previously printed site rules.

At least one's title says "Fender", which it isn't.

Nothing is wrong! The issue is about any intent to deceive. None of those ads are deceptive! Saying the same thing over and over is not going to change anything. Luckily you have no say over how the site is run and I sincerely hope you have no say over anything else of any importance, because you're acting like a control freak. You're clutching at straws - give it up, already!

Whatever the text of an ad, there's no way that we (the Mods...) can know if a logo displayed is genuine or not. The bass may have been made by someone with a license from Fender, for all we know. I'd not like to take down any posts just because someone calls 'Fake' (I'm a drummer, remember..?). Unless there's a definitive Admin ruling on this, I'm not going to change my modding concerning this sort of stuff. If there's an issue (any issue at all...), Report it, and it'll be dealt with on its merits. If ads get deleted as a consequence, so be it. To me, nothing is changed; these rules have always been in place and applied. I's say it's a non-issue.

Don't know if I dare sell my Mex Precision Bass Special Deluxe Series, with it's Hipshot Lollipop tuners, Seymour Duncan P/J pick ups & BadAss11 bridge.

Fender are quite happy to send out C & D's, if they deem it necessary, but frankly they rarely bother with the "used" market!

4 minutes ago, karlfer said:

Don't know if I dare sell my Mex Precision Bass Special Deluxe Series, with it's Hipshot Lollipop tuners, Seymour Duncan P/J pick ups & BadAss11 bridge.

Fender are quite happy to send out C & D's, if they deem it necessary, but frankly they rarely bother with the "used" market!

The 'issue' is not 'bitsa' basses, of any sort or provenance, but solely the application of a trademarked logo, that's all. A bit of masking tape over the offending headstock should do the trick. Am I wrong..?

8 minutes ago, discreet said:

Nothing is wrong! The issue is about any intent to deceive. None of those ads are deceptive! Saying the same thing over and over is not going to change anything. Luckily you have no say over how the site is run and I sincerely hope you have no say over anything else of any importance, because you're acting like a control freak. You're clutching at straws - give it up, already!

The issue is about deceit, you are right, and selling an instrument with a fake logo on it is deceit.

You are the one who is acting like a control freak, wanting to define your own set of rules which somehow trump the site rules and the law of the land. Luckily you don't define either, and furtunately never will.

10 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Whatever the text of an ad, there's no way that we (the Mods...) can know if a logo displayed is genuine or not. The bass may have been made by someone with a license from Fender, for all we know. I'd not like to take down any posts just because someone calls 'Fake' (I'm a drummer, remember..?). Unless there's a definitive Admin ruling on this, I'm not going to change my modding concerning this sort of stuff. If there's an issue (any issue at all...), Report it, and it'll be dealt with on its merits. If ads get deleted as a consequence, so be it. To me, nothing is changed; these rules have always been in place and applied. I's say it's a non-issue.

Cool - the rules are there - it's been established.

A number of infringements have crept through because the mods don't police/vet everything (ie. are not heavy-handed) and nobody flagged them.

Actually, just pointing out the rules on post #2 would've sorted it.

It's been an interesting discussion.

8 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

The 'issue' is not 'bitsa' basses, of any sort or provenance, but solely the application of a trademarked logo, that's all. A bit of masking tape over the offending headstock should do the trick. Am I wrong..?

And there's the rub dad :P

The one I am quoting is an actual factory made (for NAMM 1999 actually) bass, with, upgrades/mods, (whatever you wish to call them) made over the last 18 years.

Sort of putting a better exhaust/wheels/tyres on a Peugeot Bipper  BMW 1 series.

Edited by karlfer

10 minutes ago, prowla said:

The issue is about deceit, you are right, and selling an instrument with a fake logo on it is deceit.

You are the one who is acting like a control freak, wanting to define your own set of rules which somehow trump the site rules and the law of the land. Luckily you don't define either, and furtunately never will.

Why would you want to deceive people , but tell people .  Surely you are only deceiving if you tell someone it is genuine?

7 minutes ago, karlfer said:

And there's the rub dad :P

The one I am quoting is an actual factory made (for NAMM 1999 actually) bass, with, upgrades/mods, (whatever you wish to call them) made over the last 18 years.

Sort of putting a better exhaust/wheels/tyres on a Peugeot Bipper  BMW 1 series.

No problem, Karl. Was the logo applied by the factory (or under license...) or not..? That's the only criteria. Modded or not, original or not; no problem. It's only the logo that's protected IP (trademark...)

Edited by Dad3353

6 minutes ago, prowla said:

A number of infringements have crept through because the mods don't police/vet everything and nobody flagged them.

Criticising the mods for not doing their jobs, now? Good call. Still, you'll be around to flag up every other bass that gets posted up for sale from now on, so I look forward to that.

5 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

No problem, Karl. Was the logo applied by the factory (or under license...) or not..? That's the only criteria. Modded or not, original or not; no problem. It's only the logo that's protected IP (trademark...)

Sorry dad, I was just being a tw  playing devil's advocate :P

Some would seem to wish to draw the (unnecessary) line at a different point to others :| 

Just now, discreet said:

Criticising the mods for not doing their jobs, now? Good call. Still, you'll be around to flag up every other bass that gets posted up for sale from now on, so I look forward to that.

Utter baloney - that is not what I said at all!

The mods adopt a light-touch and don't monitor/vet everything - that is a perfectly valid way of running a web site and is in no way a criticism.

Please don't try and twist my words.