Why become a member? ×

Fake logos on instruments

prowla

3 minutes ago, prowla said:

Here are some examples of Fender logo'd instruments from this month's bass classifieds:

I may have missed some for December and I didn't go back further.

Which one of those have you been deceived by? The one that was a mistake did have Limelight written on the heading and the serial number clearly on the headstock. Are you wanting every bass that is not in original condition stopped? If you have the original neck and body, but reworked the electrics, then declare it on the sales pitch, are you unhappy about it as it is not original?

5 minutes ago, prowla said:

Here are some examples of Fender logo'd instruments from this month's bass classifieds:

I may have missed some for December and I didn't go back further.

None of those are being advertised as Fender made instruments.

In the case of the fretless with the block inlays and the fenderbird they are  designs which Fender has never had in production in the first place.

There is clearly no intention to deceive in any of those adverts, they are all completely  transparent about the origins of the instrument concerned.

3 minutes ago, timmo said:

Which one of those have you been deceived by? The one that was a mistake did have Limelight written on the heading and the serial number clearly on the headstock. Are you wanting every bass that is not in original condition stopped? If you have the original neck and body, but reworked the electrics, then declare it on the sales pitch, are you unhappy about it as it is not original?

Each of them has a Fender logo on it - which ones would you say are genuine Fenders?

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

Who is being deceived by these?

Well, apart from the acknowledged Limelight one (shall we call it a "misconception", though it clearly demonstrates the power of the logo) we're over to my 40% re. the trademark/copyright.

Is the "Fender Custom Jazz" effectively a clickbait deception.

But regardless, they all have Fender logos.

6 minutes ago, prowla said:

Each of them has a Fender logo on it - which ones would you say are genuine Fenders?

None, as they are all declared. I read the description provided by the seller. They have made it perfectly clear. The Jazz/ Mike Lull has clearly stated that it is a Warmoth neck with other bits that are not original. I agree with you if he said it was a genuine Fender all throughout the bass, but he hasn`t deceived me in any way.

Edited by timmo

4 minutes ago, prowla said:

I'd say that was for Fender to decide.

If someone puts a genuine a genuine Fender Jazz neck on a genuine Fender Precision body should they then have to remove all the Fender branding because the resulting instrument wasn't assembled in the Fender factory?

1 minute ago, Steve Browning said:

The ones being held out as genuine Fenders by their description in each ad. Remind which of these are.

The infringe copyright and trademark laws, regardless of what's printed in the description.

I  have no idea what is going on here really. Are you wanting everything banned unless everything is original, and what are you trying to gain from all this? Have you had bad experience that hurt you ?

Edited by timmo

1 minute ago, Cato said:

I'd say that was for Fender to decide.

If someone puts a genuine a genuine Fender Jazz neck on a genuine Fender Precision body should they then have to remove all the Fender branding because the resulting instrument wasn't assembled in the Fender factory?

I'll give you that one.

But can they then couple those two disparate parts with a load of other 3rd party components and call it a Fender?

It's clearly another edge-case (just like the earlier Squier replacement neck one) and I wouldn't remove the branding.

6 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

So the only solution is to ban all ads for fear of them not being genuine Fenders (or whatever). Is that what you're saying? You haven't provided your solution as far as I can see but forgive me if I'm wrong.

No - that's already been discussed; saying that there is an issue with fake logos cannot be extrapolated to saying therefore nothing can be sold.

And yes, a solution has been given.

Edited by prowla

The problem, as I see it, is that the OP believes he is right and on-one appears to be agreeing with him.  Rather than thinking 'oh well, horses for courses' there is much digging in of heels and citing more and more extreme examples to show that Basschat is, indeed, going to Hell in a handcart by - yes - aiding and abetting criminals in this fashion.  We are all sinners.

1 minute ago, discreet said:

And none are being sold as 'real' Fenders. No-one could be in any doubt about what they are being offered.

The old something is wrong but it's OK because nobody was hurt ploy...

But (at least) one was bought believing it to be a real Fender and they all break the previously printed site rules.

At least one's title says "Fender", which it isn't.

51 minutes ago, prowla said:

Can you link to those T&Cs, please, as I couldn't find them!

It's in your quote (my Bold...)

FAQ and Rules - Quick Version!

Hi and welcome to the BC Marketplace.You'll notice that at the top of the forum (under the support tab) there is a page with the full forum and marketplace rules. If like me you prefer things simplified...

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It's in your quote (my Bold...)

FAQ and Rules - Quick Version!

Hi and welcome to the BC Marketplace.You'll notice that at the top of the forum (under the support tab) there is a page with the full forum and marketplace rules. If like me you prefer things simplified...

I swear I looked there!

https://www.basschat.co.uk/rules/

rule 6.c