Why become a member? ×

Fake logos on instruments

prowla

Just now, wateroftyne said:

Of course it's a valid conversation - it's a pretty polarising one, too. Expect strong opinions on both sides.

Sure, but it's possible to do without resorting to personal jibes.

As I say, you guys run the site. :-)

I can`t see what can be done  by the admins . The Limelight seems to be a case of mistaken identity, but sorted out when it came to light. The Ebay one has no jurisdiction on this forum.If people do sell good fakes, how do they know? I doubt the mods would know every bass, and year of the differences. Do they need to go on a topic and find the experts to verify if it is genuine before they are put up for sale? I suspect the moderator doesn`t know every bass and every different years of manufacture. There are lots of good people on here that know the basses inside out and will soon pipe up. I don`t see it as a major problem. It is policed by the mods, then the general members

MB1.

I traded one of the bass docs basses on here. somewhere along the line it acquired a fake Fender Jazz headstock water slide logo (not applied by myself) which I removed .....it played and sounded better than any Fender I'd played previously.....before and after the removal.

7 minutes ago, prowla said:

another site (The Fretboard) has instituted a no fake logos policy.

The fact that BassChat goes its own way and doesn't always do what every other site does is highly commendable and is what makes it unique. Other bass guitar sites (yes, they exist) and to a lesser extent guitar and pro-audio gear sites are just not as good! :biggrin:

8 minutes ago, prowla said:

I don't think that Fender logos belong on non-Fender instruments.

Duly noted, thank you.

32 minutes ago, bumnote said:

I believe Mark uses generic fender parts ie allparts etc, I dont think they are fender parts.  

When I originally sold it, I advertised it as a limelight 62 stack knob jazz bass. No mention of Fender

A real 62 stacknob would sell for considerably more than the £750 i sold it for. 

Thanks - sometimes just seeing the logo may be enough.

But yes, if anybody has a genuine '62 Fender bass going for £750, then let me know!!!

2 minutes ago, discreet said:

The fact that BassChat goes its own way and doesn't always do what every other site does is highly commendable and is what makes it unique. Other bass guitar sites (yes, they exist) and to a lesser extent guitar and pro-audio gear sites are just not as good! :biggrin:

Duly noted, thank you.

Sure - as I said, the other site prompted me to thinking about it.

(Yep - that's my opinion.)

2 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

You keep referring to thefretboard.co.uk - what's that got to do with Basschat?

It's just an example of a similar site which has implemented a policy which they think is manageable, and is what prompted my thinking.

5 minutes ago, karlfer said:

Perhaps if you pm'd perceived "offenders" before affecting their sales threads?????

Thanks - I'll take that onboard.

I am always scouring sites looking for "Fender", "Gibson", etc., and there are lots of cases of keyword spamming, fakes which come up.

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

To be fair - have any of us actually paused to consider the sheer volume of kittens and puppies that have perished as a result of Basschat's lack of order?

Maybe Prowla has a point.

That did make me chuckle!

Just now, wateroftyne said:

To be fair - have any of us actually paused to consider the sheer volume of kittens and puppies that have perished as a result of Basschat's lack of order?

Maybe Prowla has a point.

But has created a worrying reaction. 

we-are-the-borg-kittens-kittens-demotivational-poster-1249712676_zps48354c3c.jpg