Why become a member? ×

Trusted Couriers?

SwamiRob

I wouldn't trust anything this fragile to a courier. Most of the basses I've bought here have been collected by a 'meet half way' agreement, once or twice I've had to drive 4 hours plus to collect. Still better than a courier in my opinion, especially as they generally refuse to insure instruments for more than £100.00.

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

I once got a bass delivered only in a flimsy gig bag. I don't understand how anyone can risk couriering a bass with that little packaging and protection.

I once had a bass, a hollowbody no less, delivered in a bin liner wrapped in a little bit of bubble wrap.  Amazingly, it was in perfect condition but my heart missed a beat or two when it first arrived! O.o

27 minutes ago, walbassist said:

I once had a bass, a hollowbody no less, delivered in a bin liner wrapped in a little bit of bubble wrap.  Amazingly, it was in perfect condition but my heart missed a beat or two when it first arrived! O.o

Yep, I've had one delivered in a black bin bag, nothing else. It was only a cheapy Aria Jazz but even so. It did make undamaged though. 

A set-up on arrival is usually easy enough on a bass, however it was wrapped up. That's not an option for this Pianet. which will be a beggar to tune, and will lose its pitch at the slightest bump or knock. Insurance won't help tune it. I still recommend taking it by car, oneself.

Was very fortunate and thankfully a mate happened to be down there yesterday and noticed when he said summet about watching a film there on Facebook, social media is useful for something occasionally! It is here and in very good condition just needs a little fine tuning (although it is actually IN tune thankfully because that is a bit of a pain to sort out).

Thanks for the help anyway guys!

On 12/27/2017 at 15:16, fleabag said:

I think Couriers and Parcel deliveries would be a candidate for a sticky, as these threads are many.  Good and bad should be named

The thing is it's not the courier service that is good or bad but the performance of the individual depots - hence the horror stories for pretty much every single courier service. Therefore such a sticky is only relevant if you can identify the actual depot giving the good or bad service and also know the area that they service.

50 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The thing is it's not the courier service that is good or bad but the performance of the individual depots - hence the horror stories for pretty much every single courier service. Therefore such a sticky is only relevant if you can identify the actual depot giving the good or bad service and also know the area that they service.

Good point Red. I suppose any service can have an off day for someone

On 28/12/2017 at 09:31, walbassist said:

I once got a bass delivered only in a flimsy gig bag. I don't understand how anyone can risk couriering a bass with that little packaging and protection.

On 28/12/2017 at 09:31, walbassist said:

On 28/12/2017 at 10:00, Maude said:

Yep, I've had one delivered in a black bin bag, nothing else. It was only a cheapy Aria Jazz but even so. It did make undamaged though. 

I recently bought a hollowbody acoustic which arrived safely in a gig bag...I too was amazed.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, MikanHannille said:

Book DPD via Interparcel scheduled for collection today. No sign of anybody to collect the parcel! Is this normal? :dash1:

Are you me? I booked DPD via Interparcel yesterday for a pickup today, worked from home to be here, no bloody courier. Looks like it is normal.

Well here it goes.

It's been collected today and double checked with them as I need the bass delivered to the destination by Friday as nobody is going to be there after that day. Hence why I booked it to be collected by Monday but they failed. Phoned them and now they are saying that the estimated delivery would be Friday or Monday. It's just not good enough. I demanded it to be upgraded so it's guaranteed to be delivered by Friday but they said they can't do that. I then demanded for it to be cancelled and have a full refund. They've put me on hold for 40 minutes on the phone while they are trying to contact DPD trying to get my parcel back.

What a load of rubbish this Interparcel thing. Not a good experience. I am beyond livid at the moment.

Fact is, there's no such thing as a "trusted courier", because it all boils to down to the care and competence of individual people at each stage of the delivery - and people are inherently untrustworthy ;) (I am of course speaking for myself...).

In all seriousness, it's like asking "which is the safest car"? You can spend more money on a better quality vehicle - just as you can spend more money on supposed better service from a courier company - but it will only ever be as safe/trustworthy as the person driving/delivering it.

My local UPS guys and girls all seem to be consistently great; I've used them for both work and domestic shipping for years without any issues. Same goes for my local Hermes people. And that must make me lucky, because I hear from friends in other parts of the UK (and folks here on Basschat) whose local reps from the exact same courier companies sound nightmarish.

Ultimately, there's no safe bet: things can and do go wrong with courier deliveries. At work I ship items all over Europe and stuff does occasionally go missing or get damaged in transit. And the only way to be guaranteed of avoiding such risk is to deliver the goods yourself. Ideally in a safe vehicle.

PS: this isn't meant to be deliberately insensitive to the plight of MikanHannille above - I have had things go wrong in the past and fully sympathise. It sucks when deliveries go wrong. Worst case you should at least get your money back.

Oh no. I totally understand that some things can go wrong. But the fact that I’ve been told that the delivery will be the same as if as if it’s been collected yesterday but when double checking I’ve been told now that it’s Friday or Monday. Which screws everythig up for me. As the guy on the other end works abroad and will only be on his address on Friday. It’s just really annoying.

Parcelforce do insure musical instruments i sent a bass away today 6 pound odds on top off delivery fee, obviously the dearer the item the more it costs insurance wise, first time i've done it but no hassle

31 minutes ago, Dov65 said:

Parcelforce do insure musical instruments i sent a bass away today 6 pound odds on top off delivery fee, obviously the dearer the item the more it costs insurance wise, first time i've done it but no hassle

Parcelforce specifically excludes musical instruments from enhanced compensation. This means that you can only expect to recieve between £100 - £200 depending on the service. Although they are quite happy to let you pay for enhanced compensation if you wish. Just don't bother claiming!

Go on the website. 

> Help and advice

> Sending

> Items we exclude from compensation

Musical instruments are excluded from enhanced compensation. Guitars and brass instruments are particularly prone to damage and should be packed very carefully, in a hard case. See our packaging guidelines for guidance