Why become a member? ×

Headphones for practice

drlargepants

19 minutes ago, project_c said:

If you're getting fuzz it's unlikely to be the headphones, unless they are completely broken, or being pushed way too loud. Check your gain and input levels.

Agreed. I use a Phil Jones BigHead headphone amp and even with some cheap (~£30) Sony earbuds my bass sounds great.

What are you using to process the signal, as the fuzz could be coming from there. Install Audiobus and route the input directly to the output and see if you still get it then?

I rate my Beyer DT770s over the Phil Jones cans any day, but at 80ohms they take a bit of juice to drive them, I found them lacking in volume through the Sonic Port but plenty loud enough via the Bighead.

Edited by dannybuoy

11 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

What are you using to process the signal, as the did could be coming from there. Install Audiobus and route the input directly to the output and see if you still get it then?

I rate my Beyer DT770s over the Phil Jones cans any day, but at 80ohms they take a bit of juice to drive them, I found them lacking in volume through the Sonic Port but plenty loud enough via the Bighead.

This. Great cans. Tried and tested. I power mine with a mixing desk, which gives plenty enough volume

22 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

These look a lot sturdier than the Phil Jones cans. If I was buying headphones again I would get the Beyer's.

23 hours ago, project_c said:

If you're getting fuzz it's unlikely to be the headphones, unless they are completely broken, or being pushed way too loud. Check your gain and input levels.

just add my bit, I practice through my laptop, just plug my bass into the mic socket (with a reducing jack) and plug the headphones ( any headphones) into the output jack and away I go no problems with volume or overloading (which I suspect is the 'fuzz' that's being talked about)

FWIW Santa brought me some 20-20,000 Hz active Vox (made by audio-technica) bass over ear headphones (the red ones) which have gain, tone, volume, compressor controls and an aux socket. They can be used (switched off) for normal use too and they sound bloody awesome both ways. Happy as a pig in poo.

Edited by LITTLEWING
  • Thanks 1

beyerdynamic DT 770 are what I use for both practice and performance foldback at the moment (same as several guys above). I use the 80ohm version.  I play a 6 string bass and they give a good representation of both the low end and the high end without muddying the middle. No issues driving them and no problem experienced with a lack of volume. Managed to get them for circa £100. Really sturdy and good level of isolation.

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2017 at 11:14, CameronJ said:

Sounds to me as though the build quality is noticeably better than the Vox Amplug, which in my experience was laughably frail! Good to hear the phones are working out for you.

Yep the Amplug is really fragile, I use the acoustic version for my bass, it sounds practically the same as the bass version but seems much sturdier built compared than the bass version which I always seemed to break within a month