Why become a member? ×

Been a long time, been a long time...

stewblack

Thought as I'd been away so long I ought to start at the intro page. I'm Stew, North East Somerset bass player of many years standing. Gave up a few years back after mountain bike accident trashed my left shoulder. Also got fed up playing with drunken musicians! Decided to dip the toe back in and after nearly despairing of finding a band have landed a couple of dep spots beginning with a covers band on New Years Eve. Learned 40 songs for the gig and had a rehearsal to find out where they differ from the originals and all is set for the big night. First gig in a few years and I'm looking forward to it. Solved the shoulder problem by the addition of two extra strap buttons to my bass, and two short straps attached to a wide weight lifter's belt. No pressure on the destroyed rotator cuff and assorted painful tendons. Works like a charm but takes some getting used to as the bass is static in relation to my body and I hadn't realised the subtle movements one makes while playing.

Anyhoo that's me. I shall be asking some questions on the appropriate pages with reference to small amps and cabs, as at my age, and having lost the nice big car in my recent marriage bust up, I need to consider back and neck problems and limited boot space.

If you remember me then hello again if not, it's nice to meet you.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2017 at 23:18, obbm said:

Hi Stew, great to see you back.  Good luck with NYE.

On 12/26/2017 at 14:14, fleabag said:

Hi from a recovering Fleabag on boxing day.  I over did it a tad  :)

Hi guys good to see you both. Thanks OBBM - I shall be using your cables of course!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Stew,

Welcome back to the world of bass. I took an even longer break - almost 25 years! :o
But I'm so glad I picked up the bass again, I enjoy it even more than before

Sorry to hear of your woes mate. I went through a marriage break up too, years back. I can tell you, it does get better / easier and looking back, my life is so much better now anyway :)
Music can be such a great medicine to life's other woes. Stick at it, and hopefully, you'll soon find a band of like-minded people who want to play the same songs / style

BTW. How did your New Years Gig go?