Why become a member? ×

ELO wembley or bust. (Leftie content)

oldslapper

Sorry if this appears somewhere else on the site, but search didn't find anything.

Anyway, been watching the above documentary on iplayer, & apart from being a joyous gig with a mahoosive body of work, & a great band, I noticed the bass player is a leftie playing the bass strung right handed (upside down) anyone else play this way here? 

Nice player (of course)

I don't know about here but there are quite a few bassists playing like that ... the guy in Doves for example.

Some guitarists too e.g. Albert King, 'D**k' Dale.

And the guy in Orchestral Manoeuvres plays right handed strung left.

Edited by EssentialTension
auto correct for saying Richard

2 hours ago, EssentialTension said:

I don't know about here but there are quite a few bassists playing like that ... the guy in Doves for example.

Some guitarists too e.g. Albert King, 'D**k' Dale.

And the guy in Orchestral Manoeuvres plays right handed strung left.

Richard, Richard, Richard, Richard,Richard!!!! sorry had to see what happened!

22 hours ago, KingPrawn said:

Lee is an incredible player. He’s the go to man. ELO, YES, it Bites, Take That. Top player. 

Not to mention Headspace, Rick Wakeman and That Oceanic Feeling. Top player.

Gord the blu-ray/CD package for Crimble. Really looking forward to it!

Edited by TrevorR

1 hour ago, Zummerbass said:

I was there. Great gig,great band. Essentially Take That's backing band fronted by Mr Lynne. I didn't notice the bass being upside down strung. But then I was about 2 miles away

Luck you. Looked such a joyous occasion.

Here's Lee with his upside down strung left handed 

On 12/24/2017 at 16:27, oldslapper said:

I noticed the bass player is a leftie playing the bass strung right handed (upside down) anyone else play this way here? 

It's how I play, hence my user name. Have always played a flipped right-hander. Some previous issues with my arm rubbing against tone/volume knobs have been resolved with blu tack. Hail to my putty-like pal! 

2 hours ago, upside downer said:

It's how I play, hence my user name. Have always played a flipped right-hander. Some previous issues with my arm rubbing against tone/volume knobs have been resolved with blu tack. Hail to my putty-like pal! 

Great stuff.

Can I ask, did you take lessons?

Reason I ask is when I taught, I did have a couple of lefties, but no one with upside down stringing. Would have been fun to teach I'd imagine... don't know why. 😊

14 hours ago, oldslapper said:

Great stuff.

Can I ask, did you take lessons?

Reason I ask is when I taught, I did have a couple of lefties, but no one with upside down stringing. Would have been fun to teach I'd imagine... don't know why. 😊

No lessons, self taught so flawed technique to this day 😊 Had no one to advise me otherwise so whenever I picked up a friends' guitar it tended to be a righty. Haven't found it a problem down the years. I guess a teacher would have advised differently. I do muck about with some other instruments (mandolin, saz, Greek bouzouki) and play them flipped too, apart from the bouzouki which is strung lefty. There's no rhyme nor reason to this, that's just how I bought it. Fancy a challenge? Try a sitar upside down! 😁

• Haha 1