Why become a member? ×

NBD. Nice little early Xmas present to myself.

AnAnInginAneAnA

1 minute ago, yorks5stringer said:

....and string through as well. Also unlike the Thomann one it has a decent headstock shape too. I've had to reshape mine but all will be revealed in a Build Thread some time soon...!

Look forward to seeing it. I've done templates for the Thomann PB-50,just clip on and run round with a router/guided cutter :) Only thing is none of the folks on here have used them with a router yet xD Was it the Freya or the HB you started with ?

On December 24, 2017 at 11:11, Cato said:

I've fancied one of those for a long time.

It's one of those Squier models that I suspect got discontinued for being a little bit 'too' nice.

Nice-looking bass. They sell over here in the US for $399 through Musician's Friend. No indication they've been discontinued.

1 minute ago, Wylie said:

Nice-looking bass. They sell over here in the US for $399 through Musician's Friend. No indication they've been discontinued.

I think they stopped selling them in the UK around 2014/15?

Nice to know it might still be possible to get a new one.

On 12/24/2017 at 17:57, AnAnInginAneAnA said:

From checking it, tweaking a bit, and playing for a couple of hours so far, I could very easily believe that.

I've played a good few basses that have retailed for 2/3/4 times what this one did that weren't even close to this level of quality. With the exception of a tiny little bit of shielding paint that trickled out the cavity onto the face of the instrument, fit and finish is pretty much perfect. The pickup does seem a little bit on the noisy side so far, but that's just par for the course with a single coil I guess.

The only things I'm really thinking of changing out or modding are kinda just personal preference things really, replacing the tele jack cup with an electrosocket, getting a black or tort pickguard (haven't decided which yet), and maybe getting a chrome pickup cover to further reduce noise.

Keep us up to date on those changes if you would be so kind :)

I wouldn't be too surprised to see these changing hands at £300/£400 in a few years.

Cracking basses, and I think Fender are currently lacking this style in an affordable range.

11 hours ago, karlfer said:

Keep us up to date on those changes if you would be so kind :)

I wouldn't be too surprised to see these changing hands at £300/£400 in a few years.

Cracking basses, and I think Fender are currently lacking this style in an affordable range.

Aye, will do. Currently unemployed so even those wee mods might take some time. But there's nae big rush.

Just noticed while playing on a big amp today that there's a horrific wolf note on the A# on the E, A, & D strings that wasn't noticeable on my practice amp. It was really pissing me off, so I think getting that sorted is definitely gonna take priority over the cosmetic stuff. :(

• 2 weeks later...