Why become a member? ×

NBD. Nice little early Xmas present to myself.

AnAnInginAneAnA

About an hour ago through gumtree I picked up this little beauty, a decent gig bag, a fender cable, and a leather strap (a cheapo one, but still...) all for only £200.

There's not a mark on it, not even on the protective plastic which is still on the scratchplate.

Just put on an old set of flats that I've had sat in the cupboard for a while, and OMG this thing sounds flipping amazing.

$_86.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AnAnInginAneAnA said:

About an hour ago through gumtree I picked up this little beauty, a decent gig bag, a fender cable, and a leather strap (a cheapo one, but still...) all for only £200.

There's not a mark on it, not even on the protective plastic which is still on the scratchplate.

Just put on an old set of flats that I've had sat in the cupboard for a while, and OMG this thing sounds flipping amazing.

$_86.JPG

I've fancied one of those for a long time.

It's one of those Squier models that I suspect got discontinued for being a little bit 'too' nice.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Looks great, I always fancied an early Precision, or an affordable copy of one, anyway!

Every now and then I start researching and pricing parts to build my own 51 precision replica.

Then I remember that I have the technical skills of a drunk koala.

1 minute ago, Cato said:

Every now and then I start researching and pricing parts to build my own 51 precision replica.

Then I remember that I have the technical skills of a drunk koala.

That's step up from my ability, do you undertake commissions? :)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cato said:

I've fancied one of those for a long time.

It's one of those Squier models that I suspect got discontinued for being a little bit 'too' nice.

From checking it, tweaking a bit, and playing for a couple of hours so far, I could very easily believe that.

I've played a good few basses that have retailed for 2/3/4 times what this one did that weren't even close to this level of quality. With the exception of a tiny little bit of shielding paint that trickled out the cavity onto the face of the instrument, fit and finish is pretty much perfect. The pickup does seem a little bit on the noisy side so far, but that's just par for the course with a single coil I guess.

The only things I'm really thinking of changing out or modding are kinda just personal preference things really, replacing the tele jack cup with an electrosocket, getting a black or tort pickguard (haven't decided which yet), and maybe getting a chrome pickup cover to further reduce noise.

2 hours ago, mikebass456 said:

Nice! Treated myself to the fiesta red classic vibe precision a while ago - fantastic sound and feel 😀

Is that, by any chance, the one Marc S sold? If so, “I hate you” (said in a petulant, Kenneth Williams voice). I’m so jealous 😛

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

What width is the neck? I've got a classic 50s Precision (mim) and the 1 3/4" nut really suits me

42mm which according to google is 1.65", so right up your alley.

The neck is a fair bit thicker front to back than I'm used to, considering that I mainly play basses with J style necks. But strangely enough I'm not finding it to be uncomfortably big, just "robust" feeling. 

7 hours ago, SICbass said:

Is that, by any chance, the one Marc S sold? If so, “I hate you” (said in a petulant, Kenneth Williams voice). I’m so jealous 😛

No, bought it the old school way by word of mouth. Someone got it for their son for birthday present, but he ended up being a guitarist instead,so it sat under the bed in its case for a year. I only paid £180 for it as well, including the hard case! Ha ha ha ( said in a gravelly Sid James voice)😀😀😀