Why become a member? ×

Gear4Music EUB - any good?

gs_triumph

Hi,

I've been offered  cheap gear4music EUB - presumably the 3/4 size one.  Its brand new, never played and it is cheap!

It's got my curiosity going and I think it could be good fun.  I have no aspiration of taking it up seriously.

Are they that bad?  Would it be good enough to get me up and running?

Please note I am starting from the position of knowing absolutely nothing about EUB.

Cheers

Is it this one?

https://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/3-4-Size-Electric-Double-Bass-Amp-Pack-Black/2906#

The advertised price of £19.99 must be a mistake, but if anyone sucessfully orders and gets delivery at that price do tell.

Looks to me like a rebranded Stagg, so its an OK option if you are not paying much, but according to the combined knowledge of owners here and over on talkbass, they generally benefit from some modification and better quality strings - have a look for the stagg megathread in the EUB section on talkbass if you want more info.

I would go for it,I knew nothing about EUB's when I got started.

It looks like a version of the Stagg and the Stagg was a great introduction to upright bass playing for me.It will be a great learning experience and playing upright is just plain fun and you will feel like a "real" bass player once you get the feel of it and start to move with it.I gigged with my Stagg for a few months until a super deal on a Yamaha SLB200 came up so I sold the Stagg on.It won't sound like a DB but you will have fun once you get the very long fretless neck figured out.There are lots of online lessons and resources for DB that will be really useful to get started or maybe find a teacher to get you playing correctly.

What type of music do you plan to play on it?There are EUB demos and reviews that show them being used for everything from classical to jazz,latin genres and rock.I play in a couple of jazz bands and use the EUB almost all the time with only occasional blues tunes on EB when I need that punch.

Do it!

If you can get it at that price it’s the bargain of the century. I have one I bought off a mate to mess about on and it’s great, better strings as mentioned would be worth investing but I paid £300 on mine and thought that was a really good price. Sadly I think anyone who orders one will get an email saying it’s a mistake shortly after, but if don’t try you don’t get.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SubsonicSimpleton said:

Is it this one?

https://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/3-4-Size-Electric-Double-Bass-Amp-Pack-Black/2906#

The advertised price of £19.99 must be a mistake, but if anyone sucessfully orders and gets delivery at that price do tell.

Looks to me like a rebranded Stagg, so its an OK option if you are not paying much, but according to the combined knowledge of owners here and over on talkbass, they generally benefit from some modification and better quality strings - have a look for the stagg megathread in the EUB section on talkbass if you want more info.

Never saw that!  Maybe I'm over paying!, 😁

The question is whether you’re interested in learning a brand new instrument. An EUB isn’t like playing an electric bass upright, it involveslearning a whole new technique.

Personally I have had a few EUBs and they’re really accessible way to attempt DB but ultimately they’re a poor imitation of the real thing (unless you spend a decent amount on something like an SLB or the others).

As others suggest, take the time to go and play a few if you can. If you’re looking at this as a way to take up DB at some point in the future then just get a DB. There have been some fantastic deals on here. 

• 1 month later...