Why become a member? ×

PaulWarning

I asked this question on another thread but didn't really get an answer, wrong forum, My Trace Elliot SMX  AH250 recently suffered volume issues at a gig, took it in for repair and was told, not surprisingly, that the output transistors needed replacing (Mosfets?), anyway I've been quoted £135 to repair it, £70 for the parts, does this sound reasonable?

Just now, KiOgon said:

well I was thinking £70 sounded high, would he be replacing anything else while he was at it?, I should add he was recommended by our Guitarist who's used him for years, always been weil happy with his work

I don't mind paying a fair price for a good job and if that's what's needed so be it, I want this amp to last me, just thought £70 was a bit high just for transistors, which seems to be the case, I'll ask him if he's replaced anything else when I pick it up 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar repair done a few years ago (actually about 9 years ago), replacement mosfets in a trace gp11 ah250, i seem to remember the total cost being about 150 including parts, they guy said that i was lucky as he had the right mosfets in stock and they were very difficult to get hold of (this may or may not have been true)

so accounting for inflation and the stupid cost of everything right now i'd say that the quote looks about right. there's a good chance they are replacing some of the big capacitors while they've got it in bits.

the gp11 sounded awesome when i got it back.

Matt

• Thanks 1

Just now, Matt P said:

was the total cost 135? or 135+70 for parts? 

how does the amp sound?

£70 for parts £65 labour, the amp sounds fine, it did go downhill fast tbh, I switched it on and after a few seconds the power amp section cut out, I messed about with the speaker cables and it started working again but wasn't very powerful, finished the gig on full volume and it was distorting, on reflection I should have gone and got my backup out of the car

If you like the amp then Id say go for it . Its not over the top price wise and imagine what it would cost you to replace it altogether . If your guitar player has used him for years and recommends his work then Id go for it as someone else said , if you find a decent guy , hes worth holding onto .

2 hours ago, rumblejunkie said:

If you like the amp then Id say go for it . Its not over the top price wise and imagine what it would cost you to replace it altogether . If your guitar player has used him for years and recommends his work then Id go for it as someone else said , if you find a decent guy , hes worth holding onto .

yes my thoughts exactly

• Like 1