Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliott ELF getting hot

bonzodog

The problem with new products like this is that it is almost impossible to tell if it was designed to run hot and remain within safe design parameters, or it was badly designed and will start to fail if run long and hard enough. Only time will tell.

We'll know in a year or so 🤔

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bazzbass said:

as long as an amp is small enough to fit in a gig bag it's small enough. The elf is ridiculously small, but you are gonna sit it on top of a speaker cab which is much much bigger........the elf is unnecessarily tiny.

I don't agree Bazz, I think it's an excellent size for a back up amp. The smaller the better.

Whether it's reliable with the heat it generates is another issue however.

On 26/12/2017 at 15:26, la bam said:

I, like many people, sold my superfly years ago because of the heat worry.

The later and rarer Superduperfly, aka Superfly 1000, had a fan fitted and was much cooler (I've had both, and like Bill, used them out of their pretty but heavy and heat-retaining outer casings). Perhaps putting a better fan into the ELF would improve the cooling.

13 hours ago, tauzero said:

Perhaps putting a better fan into the ELF would improve the cooling.

There's not a lot of room left, the amp is crammed. There are some fuzzy pics of its guts, Google's your friend. A small sized amp appears to have been the major design philosophy. Hence no speakon and the butt-ugly hump.

And it's the flavour of the month thing to have - a tiny amp that gets really hot with no speakon output, has a hump on the top and doesn't sound like a Trace Elliott

As a backup that you can stick in your cables bag it makes perfect sense to me but cabs can only physically get so small and I have one of the smallest so there seems to be little point of having it this size unless it's a backup to your main amp

1 minute ago, fleabag said:

Its called fashion

Well, I think it's a product which was waiting to be done.

I used to have a Burman valve amp in the 70s; it was a beast and weighed lawd knows now much.

I've now got a (possibly) more powerful one which will fit in my pocket.

It's never going to be the backine at Glastonbury, but then again I never am either.

For me it's a step towards making my living room tidier...

1 minute ago, Delberthot said:

And it's the flavour of the month thing to have - a tiny amp that gets really hot with no speakon output, has a hump on the top and doesn't sound like a Trace Elliott

As a backup that you can stick in your cables bag it makes perfect sense to me but cabs can only physically get so small and I have one of the smallest so there seems to be little point of having it this size unless it's a backup to your main amp

Well, I first tried one at the Olympia show in March and I really liked it and pretty much knew I'd get one if the opportunity arose.

I then had a go on TheGreek's at the bass bash and I liked it.

I then saw one when I was killing time in Birminham before a gig last month, but they said it was £299 and it was just on closing time.

ebay had a 20% off offer earlier in the week, which took it to under £200, so I bought it.

I don't know if that's flavour of the month or what.

I've got a TE graphic amp and 1x15 & 2x10 cabs, so it kindof fits.

For me the Elf seems to be what it says on the tin.

5 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Yup, good points, and i wouldn't want a Burman, but that is one extreme to another.

Compromises have to be made as you start miniaturising stuff, whether its amps or other things

Sure - no doubting it's a compromise; I don't think anybody is saying otherwise.

(I used to have two Marshall 4x12s to go with that Burman too!)