Why become a member? ×

Aguilar are releasing a new cab!

Jazzjames

12 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I believe Aguilar used the same power module in the TH500 that other manufacturers used in their 900 watt rated amps. It seems to me that Aguilar under rates their products.

I'd be amazed if it's even the real-world equivalent of 500w..

** ducks behind rock **

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I believe Aguilar used the same power module in the TH500 that other manufacturers used in their 900 watt rated amps. It seems to me that Aguilar under rates their products.

Or other manufacturers over-rate theirs. In any event where the maximum output of a speaker is concerned the primary spec is xmax, not watts, so until manufacturers start revealing their xmax figures you simply cannot make a valid comparison between cabs. 

Surely, simply putting the same woofers in 2 different cabinets will cause them to be voiced differently as their performance will change based on the internal volume of the cabinet? So any cab manufacturer could claim to have custom-voiced woofers, no?

1 hour ago, machinehead said:

I wonder what "custom-voiced woofers" actually means.

In the case of Eminence you tell them what you want for the basic frame/motor and a ballpark performance goal, so the conversation would start something like 'What do you have that's similar to the 2512'. Eminence will provide you with a few data sheets for the 2512 frame/motor with various cone, spider and voice coil options for you to choose from. If you see one you like they'll send you a sample for you to test. In most cases it won't be much different than the stock driver, nor any better. When Eminence introduces a new driver line they test dozens of versions, and the one they think is the best of the bunch is the one that ends up in the retail catalog.

One notable exception is the 3012 family. I worked with quite a few OEM 3012s that had specs in between the 3012HO and the 3012LF. IMO they were better than either the 3012HO or LF for electric bass applications, and they did make their way into some cabs that I designed for manufacturers, including one voted 'Best New Speaker' by some sources.

Indeed you are correct. :)  I wonder what "custom-voiced woofers" actually means.

Any suggestions anyone?

Frank.

It could mean all kinds of things, Frank, but to me it implies that they are using drivers that have been customised by the manufacturer.

5 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

In the case of Eminence you tell them what you want for the basic frame/motor and a ballpark performance goal, so the conversation would start something like 'What do you have that's similar to the 2512'. Eminence will provide you with a few data sheets for the 2512 frame/motor with various cone, spider and voice coil options for you to choose from. If you see one you like they'll send you a sample for you to test. In most cases it won't be much different than the stock driver, nor any better. When Eminence introduces a new driver line they test dozens of versions, and the one they think is the best of the bunch is the one that ends up in the retail catalog.

One notable exception is the 3012 family. I worked with quite a few OEM 3012s that had specs in between the 3012HO and the 3012LF. IMO they were better than either the 3012HO or LF for electric bass applications, and they did make their way into some cabs that I designed for manufacturers, including one voted 'Best New Speaker' by some sources.

Thanks Bill.  That's an interesting insight into speaker design and manufacturing.

Frank.

5 hours ago, stevie said:

It could mean all kinds of things, Frank, but to me it implies that they are using drivers that have been customised by the manufacturer.

Thanks stevie.  I understand that, but it's such a vague term, so I was wondering what it meant specifically.

Frank.

Thanks stevie.  I understand that, but it's such a vague term, so I was wondering what it meant specifically.

Frank.

What it means specifically could be just about anything. For decades Fender drivers were labeled 'Fender Special Design' and the only special about them was the label.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Given all of the above, it never ceases to amaze me where the rrp comes from for cabs like these.

Two (maybe not so custom) speakers in a nifty cabinet - still seems like a lot to me. I do love Aguilar stuff but this will be way down my (realistic)  GAS list. 🙁

Edited by casapete