Why become a member? ×

Aguilar are releasing a new cab!

Jazzjames

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, discreet said:

Wait, what?? 20kg?? Bloody hell, I thought it was supposed to be lightweight??

That's the ball-park for mainstream and unbraced cabs. The trade off between weight and cost of manufacture gets a 212 to the mid 40lbs.

I imagine it will sound pretty good. All Aguilar gear does.

Edited by chris_b

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Love the design. At 45lbs only 5lbs heavier than a BF Super T. But for me the key difference / deal breaker is that the Aggie only handles 500W RMS whereas the BF ST can manage 1200W. 

One of the important points is that (I believe) these cabs use Eminence Deltalite II 2512 drivers with a Vd of 255cc.

So a total Vd of 510cc for the SL212 versus c.1100cc for the BF Super Twin or c.550cc for the BF Big Baby 2.

Mind you, I owned a 212 cab with a pair of Deltalite II 2512 and it was still quite loud, but not that good in the lower frequencies.

You pays yer money and makes yer choice. :)

Frank.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Love the design. At 45lbs only 5lbs heavier than a BF Super T. But for me the key difference / deal breaker is that the Aggie only handles 500W RMS whereas the BF ST can manage 1200W. 

I think you'll find the Barefaced power handling figure is not an "RMS" figure.

2 hours ago, machinehead said:

One of the important points is that (I believe) these cabs use Eminence Deltalite II 2512 drivers with a Vd of 255cc. So a total Vd of 510cc for the SL212 versus c.1100cc for the BF Super Twin

If it is 2512 loaded that means it will take two of the Aggies to equal the output of one BFST. I'd say that it probably is 2512 loaded, as a Kappalite based driver would be at least 450w each, and they wouldn't miss out on the opportunity to advertise the new 212 as 900w.

One of the important points is that (I believe) these cabs use Eminence Deltalite II 2512 drivers with a Vd of 255cc.

The press release says they are " custom-voiced woofers ". So they can claim any Vd they like.

7 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

. . .  a Kappalite based driver would be at least 450w each, and they wouldn't miss out on the opportunity to advertise the new 212 as 900w.

I believe Aguilar used the same power module in the TH500 that other manufacturers used in their 900 watt rated amps. It seems to me that Aguilar under rates their products.

• Like 1

So a total Vd of 510cc for the SL212 versus c.1100cc for the BF Super Twin or c.550cc for the BF Big Baby 2.

But the Aguilar has a sensitivity of 103dB compared with the 100dB of the Barefaced, which means that it only needs half the power to sound as loud.