Why become a member? ×

How many this year?

Bilbo

26 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

32 this year, not bad for weekend warriors, 36 booked in for next year, can't do many more, the missus will kill me!

Yup that does seem a nice number for weekend warriors, which we are too...

19 for me in 2017 (all but two paid) hopefully heading north towards 30+ in 2018 including some function work.

In terms of highlights - probably a 60th birthday bash where we had a warm up band on before us (felt very grown up!) and the birthday boy joined us for a few of the set numbers which understandably went down very well :) 

Edited by Al Krow

None this year, largely through ill health and other stuff, but we're starting up rehearsals again, so who knows for 2018..? We never do many in a year in any case (the most was nine or ten, I think...), but it gives us a sense of purpose. Hope springs eternal...

Around ten this year...I refused a lot of stuff because it turned out to be mostly the same old covers and I get depressed playing I will survive or I wish.  There's not much left since I'm 55 and feel rather alienated from the music around me in Belgium.

Would love to play with a good songwriter but there's not a lot of opportunity. I'm composing stuff myself but it's hard to find gigs.

I guess sometimes I'm not envious of the quantity of gigs other musicians have but of their ability to put their objections aside and just go and play whatever it is...I'm not capable of doing that and luckily I have a daily job so the money's not important

5 minutes ago, casapete said:

Around 150 this year, of which probably 80 with my main band, and 70 being pub

residencies / deps / functions etc. Slightly less than usual maybe, but 2018 looking

okay so far despite losing one of my monthly pub gigs.

Forgot to add my favourite gig of the year was the Reload 80's Festival in Norfolk in September.

Great lineup including The Christians who were mega, as were Odyssey. 

18 this year, a bit low for us but we only aim for around 20 -ish so not too bad. 18 booked for next year already so we're quite happy.  I've been ill at one point and needed around 12 weeks off and our the guitarist/vocalist now has the same thing so we've got a long term dep which is working out really well apart from transport issues....NYE to go (third year running in the same pub) and then we're into 2018!

It's been 24 gigs all in for me this year.

I left my long-term band in April, having done nine gigs in 2017 and realising it had run its course after 12 years.

The rest have been a mixture of solo acoustic gigs, a couple of depping bass gigs, and three gigs with a fledging original rock trio in which I play bass (festivals and supports slots etc). 

Did my final gig of the year last weekend - a really good solo gig which was a great way to wrap things up and quite encouraging personally that I'm on the right tracks.

I've got young family so I'm trying to keep a balance between playing once or twice a month tops, but keeping some weekends free. I am pretty hopeless at saying no to gigs tho....

Edited by bassbiscuits

10 with three different bands. Played a couple of back to back wedding fayre gigs at the start of the year and then the rest was with my other two bands, one of which has endured constant line up changes in 12 months.

Hoping to at least double that next year, but it could be difficult as the gig scene is shrinking (especially in pubs), and there's a lot of bands fighting over the same gigs. The fact that there are some of the pros are out there as well, and that makes it even more difficult.

Edited by louisthebass
Grammar

Two fairly proper ones, I think. Memory's going a bit. The old covers band folded at the end of 2016 - joined an acoustic band, an originals band, and a prog rock covers band, plus still playing as a duo with Mrs Zero. The duo has done a few open mics, the acoustic band has done a few slots at whatever open mics that are actually all pre-booked slots are called plus one that could probably be classified as a gig, the originals band has done one gig, and the prog rock covers band hasn't done any, although we're well on our way to having a full set list - both songs for the first set and one of the songs for the second are sorted out.

I'll have to check my spreadsheet to be sure, but I think it will be 39 on NYE, mostly with my main band, but deps with two others.

Hopefully a few more next year as the singer and guitarist want to do music full time so I'll take as many as I can without annoying the wife too much.

Both my bands folded last Christmas and I've survived the last 12 months doing deps for a couple of friends bands.

My 2017 total has been 59. 

High points? At the start of the year I thought I'd been retired by events that were beyond my control so they were all high points for me.

17 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

32 this year, not bad for weekend warriors, 36 booked in for next year, can't do many more, the missus will kill me!

1 hour ago, spike said:

34 this year, down from 50 or so in the previous couple years. This was a band decision because we all felt it was getting a bit much.

Hah! 34 does seem to be about the magic number for those of us who are weekend warriors! :)

Edited by Al Krow

Zero this year - problems finding the right drummer then  our singer decided to learn the drums and he's not bad at all and improving all the time. We have just about got a set of songs together and am hoping 2018 will be a really good year for us - gigging wise. Will be ace to get up there again. Also looking forward to some ghetto home recording.