Why become a member? ×

New '55 style P-Bass build

kevin_lindsay

I replaced an old brass non fender  4 saddle on my 1972 Telebass for a  Squier Fender replica 2 saddle and find I have no issues with intonation even though many speak of it being an issue. However it is slightly wider than what it replaced and takes the E string  away from being  directly above the bridge Humbucker E pole piece. As 2 Humbuckers were a bit too punchy anyway I swapped one out for a Jazz pickup. Wilkinson used to do those slanted 2 saddle bridges but they seem to be discontinued now. Here's a 'before' photo.

teleBass.thumb.jpg.6dc0c025e022e9506680a16d86bc6cf4.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, the joy of international orderng of parts!!!

I bought a Glendale milled jack cup as I really like those solid inserts on the early Telecasters and P-Basses. So, I paid my $29.99 but no delivery charge was added.  Apparently you have to manually add it to your order. So, I was then stuck with another $25 delivery!!! (That' their flat fee for international orders regardless of size).

Then, the friendly Royal Mail sent me a nice card asking for a further  £13.32 for VAT (including an £8 admin fee!!) Aaagh!!!

Oh well, at least it's now here. 

I've also starting giving the body a slightly aged look - a few small chips and checking to the lacquer.

20171230_094242.jpg

20171230_115508.jpg

Edited by kevin_lindsay

I see how the milled aspect helps it locate. I had to retrofit an original one as again the previous owner of my TB had replaced it with a  non standard 4 screw version. Once I'd read up about it on the net I worked out how to fit it securely without spending loads on a special stew-mac tool. Here's another  before picture. I think I'll do a separate before and after thread elsewhere as it seems unfair to piggy-back on someone else's thread.

20171011_150401.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I decided that I'd craze the finish on the body - to give a lightly aged look, but still keep it looking shiny for now. (The bass will get any knocks and wear from gigging and playing over the coming years).

Anyhow, when I've cracked the lacquer in the past, it's been on guitar bodies - which I've just stuck in my freezer overnight. The size of a bass body doesn't fit into the compartments of my home freezer, so I had to think of another method of crazing the lacquer.

By chance, I'd met a plumber who was talking about freeing stuck pipe connections. He said, "when that happens, you just spray one part with Crack It spray. That instantly freezes the part and breaks the stuck connection". It turns out that this plumbers aerosol reduces the surface to minus 45 degrees.

I got a can myself from a local Toolstation. All you have to do is get the lacquer warm, then simply spray the aerosol on the surface. You can sometimes hear the lacquer crack. Anyhow, the end result is a nice crazed lacquer. As the plumbers spray has an oil in it, you need to clean the surface afterwards using a rubbing compound  (I used Mer Car Polish). I've heard that some folk use aerosols of compressed air to reduce the temp. I might try that on my next build?

Here are some pics of some of the crazing  (after crazing the lacquer, I wiped the body surface with water based Dark Oak stain to emulate years old grime in the cracks).

20180119_212610.jpg

20180120_133939.jpg

20180120_133949.jpg

Edited by kevin_lindsay
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Interesting, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, when I fitted a Squier 2 saddle bridge the grooves are spaced slightly wider than the individual saddles on the non OEM it had fitted. This then moved the strings away from being directly over the pole pieces on the bridge humbucker so visually and perceptually I had to change the pickup! Your solution would serve to move the strings back to their correct spacing for me. Did you mention what you paid for them earlier? Did they sneak through customs?

11 hours ago, kevin_lindsay said:

There' no need to cut slots in the saddles.  String pressure from the break angle keeps the str ings in place - they won't move anywhere once the bass is tuned to pitch.

I'm sceptical about that.  Do you say that they wont move even when you're digging a hard groove into the strings near the bridge?

50 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I'm sceptical about that.  Do you say that they wont move even when you're digging a hard groove into the strings near the bridge?

Leo's original design didn't have slots and it worked well enough for around six or seven years until the redesign in 57 when threaded barrels appeared. The 51/54 designs are through-body bridges and have a greater break angle than the top-loading 57 variant.

Edited by discreet

30 minutes ago, discreet said:

Leo's original design didn't have slots and it worked well enough for around six or seven years until the redesign in 57 when threaded barrels appeared. The 51/54 designs are through-body bridges and have a greater break angle than the top-loading 57 variant.

Thanks Mark.

I can appreciate that the tighter break angle makes the difference on through stringers.  My touch, being relatively inexperienced as I am, can sometimes be a bit too heavy.  From what @kevin_lindsay and yourself said I suppose string movement is only an issue for the inexperienced or heavy handed players if it occurs at all.

It makes more sense to have the saddles staggered above all else so I'm really only nit-picking out of ignorance.

• 2 weeks later...

The final parts have been ordered:

Neck (which will require fettling by myself. String retainer, nut blank, bridge plate, period correct wax / paper capacitor. I'v also bought a set of "through body" LaBella 1954 Jamerson strings for some old school "thump".

The tuning heads arrived today - I bought a set of Gotoh "Resolite" ones to minimise headstock dive. One thing I really like about them compared to the usual vintage style tuners (aside from the 40% weight saving aspect) is the way that the underside of the facing plate is made to sit flush with the headstock with no alteration to the headstock. The usual Fender style heads have protruding retainer lugs on the underside.  This means you have to create divots on the headstock to accommodate these bumps.

The Gotoh units are a straightforward fit - ideal!

20180130_202917.jpg

20180130_202927.jpg

Edited by kevin_lindsay

• 2 weeks later...

I'e now received l the hardware I need - just need to finish shaping and sanding the neck (cutting headstock and getting the tuner holes ready, and "rolling" the fingerboard edges for a played-in feel), then spray the nitrocellulose lacquer. It'l take a few weeks to properly settle, and then I can final sand and buff it.

20180210_131759.jpg

Edited by kevin_lindsay
  • Like 2

I had ordered a set of LaBella 1954 "Jamerson" strings in the "through body" length. I'll decide whether to use those, or string the bass with DR Hi-Beams, once the instrument is complete. If I don't use the LaBella strings on this bass, I'll put them on my Shell Pink P-Bass.

20180210_213456.jpg

20180210_131647.jpg

20130817_193800.jpg

• Like 2