Why become a member? ×

New '55 style P-Bass build

kevin_lindsay

I grabbed a body from Guitarbuild and the build has started. As per my other builds, the nitrocellulose lacquer has been sprayed at home (with me holding the body out of my kitchen window while applying the various coats!!).

I applied the colour in the same way Fender did in the early days. :

First step - lots of fine sanding!!!

Step 2 - lightly bleach the alter body. Fender didn' do this on their ash bodies at the time as they took colour very easily. Alder naturally goes an orangey shade when you apply clear coats of lacquer- the bleaching process was to provide a lighter base colour.

Step 3 - wipe on yellow stain to the bare wood body (and lightly sand again).

Step 4 - clear sealer coats of lacquer

Step 5 - tobacco brown burst and edges applied.

Step 6 - apply clear top coats.

Then, everything was left for 3 weeks to allow the lacquer to thin out and sink into the grain of the wood.

Then, ideas time to finely send the surface using wet & dry paper. I started with 800 gtadevto lightly scuff the surface.  Then, on to 1200 grade. I then followed up with 1500, then 2000, finishing with 2500 grade. 

The body was then buffed to a shine using Met auto polish  (great stuff- leaves no residue on the surface).

The rear ferrule holes were then cleaned, and the large diameter inserts installed.

Next step will be getting a neck made and lacquered - I'll do that after the Christmas madness has passed.

IMG_0007_afeeaf9d-02a8-409e-98d9-878050407a4e_1200x.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

The slightly discoloured pickguard is actually an old nitrocellulose one that I had in my box of bass bits. The nitrocellulose lacquer on my bass is tracing paper thin, so the body will age nicely, to catch up with the pickguard.

Ive got an unused Seymour Duncan Antiquity single coil pickup to use in the build. Ive also got Fender True Vintage 1958 knobs (not domed like the early 50s ones, but not completely flat topped and ridged like early 60s ones. Rather, they have a more smoothly blended transition from the top to the knurled sides)

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

There are just too many talented people in this place

*sob*

Ha ha I know what you mean you think you’ve done a good job of something then you look other peoples posts then look at yours again and just think “I could have done that a bit better!!!”

I’m a bit worried now because I’ve just started a 51 p bass build!?! I better up my game a bit and pull something out of the bag!?!  O.o

Edited by Jimothey

Evan from Webbteca in Ohio, USA is making me a pair of slanted saddles so I can intonate the bass up at "The dusty end" while maintaining the traditional 2 saddle look. They'e being turned from aircraft grade aluminium. Nice touch.

They'll look like these brass ones, but in a silvery hue.

20170122_212028.png

Edited by kevin_lindsay