Why become a member? ×

My Hartke LH500 smells of....dogs!?

solo4652

I bought a used LH500 off Gumtree. It's 5 years old, but the original owner says he's hardly used it. It certainly looks mint. It sounds great - just as I was hoping, and all the knobs and switches work properly. But - it smells. Like a dog. The smell seems to be coming from the right-hand side front and rear vents, as opposed to the middle back vent. I've washed out the foam filter and hoovered everywhere I can, which isn't that much. What do we think, team? Is this simply dust which will dissipate with use, or is it a sign of something more sinister like a failing valve? 

In my experience, these things tend to pickup the smell of whatever environment they are stored or used in, due to the cooling fans drawing in the surrounding air. My Ashdown amp smells of plug-in air freshener everytime I use it. Ive tried cleaning the inside as much as possible but cant shift the smell.  This particular smell wouldnt be a problem for most, but any perfume and such are a trigger for my migraines! 

I know some think these amps are the dogs doodahs, but that's just fanboi-ism lol.

Apparently there's a good amp tech in Kennelworth. Or is it Barking? I forget...

Seriously though, have you had it apart and looked and cleaned inside? Wasn't sure if the hoovering was just external.

Could be a bone of contention...

I'm sorry.  😎

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, RandomBass said:

Seriously though, have you had it apart and looked and cleaned inside? Wasn't sure if the hoovering was just external.

External hoovering only. If I open the amp up and start messing with it, I'll end up with a dog's dinner...

Both! Normally ok on gigs in stage clothes but if he’s been out walking on the day of rehearsal and it’s a bit damp it’s a bit much in a hot rehearsal studio! Lovely bloke though and cracking drummer. Cats all the way for me. By the way, after a recent experience with my amp I can recommend hoovering the inside. 

Give it plenty of fresh air. Ie leave it outside for a good few hours (or in your car).

Then wipe with febreeze on a cloth.

Then more fresh air.

Then more febreeze.

Eventually it will ware off.

Ive had speakers before like that. Takes a while to stop smelling.

10 hours ago, scalpy said:

Both! Normally ok on gigs in stage clothes but if he’s been out walking on the day of rehearsal and it’s a bit damp it’s a bit much in a hot rehearsal studio! Lovely bloke though and cracking drummer. Cats all the way for me. By the way, after a recent experience with my amp I can recommend hoovering the inside. 

On a serious note just for a moment, how careful must I be if I hoover inside the thing? Don't want to damage anything. I'll use a soft brush and go gently. Anything else I should be aware of?

2 minutes ago, solo4652 said:

On a serious note just for a moment, how careful must I be if I hoover inside the thing? Don't want to damage anything. I'll use a soft brush and go gently. Anything else I should be aware of?

I had similar trepidations but it was quite easy in the end. I didn’t use the brushes, I used the nozzle making sure I didn’t touch anything, then used a q tip on anything obviously non electrical like the heat sink, then repeated the hoovering again. It was a noticeable improvement in tone as well, bonus. 

Right then -full-on attack. Unscrewed the top plate and gently hoovered everything I dared. Wiped as much as I could with some pet odour-eliminator spray I had. Whole lot is in the shed with the door open to get some fresh air circulating round it. I'll put it all back together this afternoon and see (smell) what we've got. Let's hope it doesn't end up smelling like my hoover, or my shed. Rock and roll, eh!?

Edited by solo4652

17 minutes ago, solo4652 said:

Right then -full-on attack. Unscrewed the top plate and gently hoovered everything I dared. Wiped as much as I could with some pet odour-eliminator spray I had. Whole lot is in the shed with the door open to get some fresh air circulating round it. I'll put it all back together this afternoon and see (smell) what we've got. Let's hope it doesn't end up smelling like my hoover, or my shed. Rock and roll, eh!?

I hope the neighbourhood cats don't smell it - in the shed - with the door open - see where I'm going with this? O.o :D

26 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

I hope the neighbourhood cats don't smell it - in the shed - with the door open - see where I'm going with this? O.o :D

My own cat doesn't seem too interested in it, but I take your point! Maybe I'll leave the shed door slightly ajar so no animals can get in.