Why become a member? ×

REDDI box real life experience

Crawford13

Does anyone have some real life experience with the REDDI? I am thinking of getting one but it’s a lot of money to shell out when I don’t really know if I am going to get a decent return. I would be using it for live and recording. I currently use the Aguilar Tone Hammer DI. If I could get some feedback that would be great, even better if some one in Scotland has one they would let me try that would be amazing!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I played a radio show that used one - I really disliked the result.

Had I known it was such an expensive piece of kit, maybe I’d have enjoyed it more.

On a more serious note; I’m sure it was a matter of preference - and I should stress that I didn’t get to adjust any settings - but to me it added too much grind.

Is the tone hammer not good?

Ah, I see. I quite like the idea of having that for backup.

Hopefully someone round here can  provide a sample so you can find out if it can give you what you want to hear.

(I could ask when I’m in that particular studio, but I can’t make any promises...)

Something to consider though: it’s quite big. Here it is on top of my amp.

DCF23051-504B-47C9-9DAF-336818AAB168.png

I used to have one but sold it. It does indeed do the whole valve tone thing very well - but I found myself preferring the instrument DI on A Designs Pacifica preamp for a slightly more accurate / hard tone (perhaps the usual difference between valve vs solid state). 

Truth be told, there isn't a huge amount of difference in active DI boxes once you spend more than a certain amount of $$$  - the REDDI colour is beautiful but fairly subtle. I felt I could use the dosh elsewhere so sold mine. Sometimes I miss it though!

Edited by roman_sub

I've not experienced the REDDI, although I do have the Tonehammer. But I can offer the following!

- There was a guy on Talkbass who did an in depth review of the Aguilar who also owned a REDDI. He claimed that with the AGS on, a touch of bass and low mid boost, and treble cut, and the gain set to just breaking up - it was very very close to the REDDI tone.

- You say your want to switch because the Tonehammer is a pre-amp... Well, the REDDI could be considered as a pre-amp too, just with a baked-in voice and no tone controls. If you want the tubey Tonehammer tone but without the EQ, just leave the EQ flat and you basically have a poor man's REDDI!

- Also, the REDDI only outputs it's affected tone through the XLR output, the thru jack that goes to your amp is unaffected. Just in case you were hoping to get some of that tone coming out through your actual amp, you won't be able to do so without modding it.

Thanks Dannybouy. I know the reddi will only affect the FOH tone. I do like the Tone Hammer and it is really flexible, I’m just sick of arguing with sound guys that don’t want to take a post eq Di from my pedal board, and I end up going through whatever cheap DI they have lying around.

I not bashing the Aguilar at all it is still on my board, and I will use the AGS for some grit when needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I love mine. Wouldn't be without it if I'm honest! Previously used an Avalon U5, which is an awesome (and more versatile) bit of kit, but the REDDI just sounds great to me! Used to have a TH500 as well, and I prefer the REDDI personally.