Why become a member? ×

Cheap compressor

Harryburke14

Have a look at TommyK's post in Effects For Sale on here. I've no experience of the Joyo compressor he's selling, but the brand is quite well thought of and well priced. There are plenty of reviews. It's not quite bargain basement though. Just as an aside, my limited experience of compressors (including the Boss LMB-3) is that the mid-price bracket brings audible performance benefits.

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Marshall ED-1.

Very under-rated. I love it. Can be a little noisy at high settings, but for common use no problems.

Despite having Cali / Empress / DG compressors I still use one a lot.

Me too, have you done the cap changes for bass? 

44 minutes ago, lee650 said:

Wasn't someone selling a DOD milk box on here recently? they are supposed to be really good for not much cash :)

Yeah I have just had a search and I believe it is still available so maybe.

For now, I have pulled out and wiped the dust off the old Boss ME50B - it has a few compression settings to fiddle with despite it being fairly limited. But hey, some of the other effects on there are pretty nice too so will have to use it a bit more methinks.

Zoom B1on multi-effect pedal is what I'd suggest in that price range.  Just set it up so that only a Comp (a few to choose from) is in the signal path. Of course, it gives you a lot more than that if you choose to use it, the least of which are tuner, looper, rhythm box, and headphone output.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/zoom_b1on.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Just as an update:

Have bought a Marshall ED1 for a very reasonable price with a view to change out the capacitors in it. I have read a few tutorials online and it is as simple as unsolder cap, fit new cap, solder.

Only problem is I don't have a soldering iron. Or any experience soldering...

Still, these are meant to be great compressors for next to no money, so needless to say I am very happy 😊

17 hours ago, Harryburke14 said:

Just as an update:

Have bought a Marshall ED1 for a very reasonable price with a view to change out the capacitors in it. I have read a few tutorials online and it is as simple as unsolder cap, fit new cap, solder.

Only problem is I don't have a soldering iron. Or any experience soldering...

Still, these are meant to be great compressors for next to no money, so needless to say I am very happy 😊

Desoldering requires more skill than soldering. If you leave your iron on the cap too long, you run the risk of lifting the trace on the circuit board. Every time you hear the trace up you’re running the risk of having it separate from the board. 

Do you know how changing the capacitors will effect the circuit? Is there any record of anyone modding this pedal for use with bass?