Why become a member? ×

Squier Affinity or VM for starter?

Switch625

I've been looking around for my first starter bass and have pretty much decided to go for a PJ type to offer a variety of tones. I'd also like to pick something up that I'll enjoy learning on and not feel it's a budget instrument that needs upgrading/replacing for a while.

I just noticed a second hand Squier Affinity PJ pop up on ebay for £129 + shipping that seems reasonable and checked out a few youtube videos to hear what it sounds like. To me it sounds pretty good. But I'm wondering if I should hold out for a second hand VM which will probably sound better and hold my interest longer before wanting to swap up or change pickups?

Overall my budget is around £200-250 to get a nice starter bass and amp. Not sure if I should bite the bullet on the affinity or wait for a VM?

The pre-owned Affinity instrument at £129 makes a good starting point if you are not certain that you will stick at the instrument. The Vintage Modified series instruments are better in a number of respects.  Try to find one of the older ones with Duncan Designed pickups. 

Obviously, other budget brand bass guitars are available. A surprising number of them are made in exactly the same factory as the Squier VM. ;)

You could do worse than look at the Ibanez SR300 series, second hand I think you can pick them up for around £150.  I would steer clear of the Affinity Squiers, but the Squire VM's, Deluxe and CV series are all decent quality basses.

Best advice is to go and try a few basses and see how they feel, we all have different styles/preferences.  A first bass needs to be able to engage you and make you want to play.

I have fairly small hands so the Ibanez works well for me, chunky Fender/Squier PBass necks do not work for me - despite the fact that I think a P Bass looks and sounds awesome.

I restarted my bass playing a few years ago after a long break, on an Ibanez GSR200 which is an entry level bass and I was amazed at what a nice bit of kit it was for the price.  I still regret selling it on when I upgraded.

52 minutes ago, Switch625 said:

Really? Which others are out there that are on par with the VM?

The Squier VM series is "crafted in Indonesia" at the Cort factory - just like numerous Ibanez, Schecter and, now some PRS SE instruments. Apart from the headstock shapes, the Cort Action, budget Ibanez SR and the old Squier MB4 are, to most intents and purposes, the same instrument. 

My other pre-owned bargain suggestion is Yamaha. Excellent build quality. Plenty of scope for upgrading the pickups and controls when you feel ready. 

My first bass was a Yamaha TRBX304 and although I realised that active basses with humbuckers aren't really for me, it was a quality instrument which saw me through my first year.

I picked that up for £100 second hand so definitely worth considering if you try one and get on with it!

There's a second hand Yamaha RBX260 on ebay at the moment that I briefly looked at. But when looking at a couple of videos on youtube I wasn't overly impressed with the tone. I don't know if it's worth taking a gamble on it or waiting for the right PJ style guitar.

How about Harley Benton?

6 minutes ago, Switch625 said:

There's a second hand Yamaha RBX260 on ebay at the moment that I briefly looked at. But when looking at a couple of videos on youtube I wasn't overly impressed with the tone. I don't know if it's worth taking a gamble on it or waiting for the right PJ style guitar.

As it happens, I upgraded the TRBX to a 1980's MIJ RBX800 which is absolutely brilliant. I'd really struggle to part with it.

You should be able to pick one of those up for ~£250. Those old RBX's are a steal :D

8 hours ago, Switch625 said:

Yamaha RBX260 ... I wasn't overly impressed with the tone. I don't know if it's worth taking a gamble on it or waiting for the right PJ style guitar.

The stock pickups on budget Yamaha, Cort and Ibanez bass guitars can be disappointing. Considering that you could probably find a pre-owned instrument for about one hundred Pounds, the remainder of your budget could go towards upgrades. 

An RBX260 could be given plenty of "attitude" by installing a Dimarzio DP146 Will Power Middle (Precision-style) replacement pickup. This is what I have in the blue bass in my current avatar photograph.

In my opinion, it is incorrect to assume that two pickups automatically makes for more usefulness than just one. I get a great deal of mileage out of a modified (bottom-of-the-range) Yamaha Attitude Plus. Gotoh 201B bridge, Seymour Duncan APB-1 Pro Active Precision Bass pickup, Seymour Duncan STC-2C-BO Blackouts For Bass 2-band active EQ. 

I'm all for upgrades and customisation. But for a starter bass I just want something to pick and up enjoy playing without thinking "it could do with new pickups/better tuners". I think the VM squiers kind of fall in to that bracket, as does the bitsa you have for sale at the moment :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kendall said:

You could do worse than look at the Ibanez SR300 series, second hand I think you can pick them up for around £150.  I would steer clear of the Affinity Squiers, but the Squire VM's, Deluxe and CV series are all decent quality basses.

Best advice is to go and try a few basses and see how they feel, we all have different styles/preferences.  A first bass needs to be able to engage you and make you want to play.

I have fairly small hands so the Ibanez works well for me, chunky Fender/Squier PBass necks do not work for me - despite the fact that I think a P Bass looks and sounds awesome.

I restarted my bass playing a few years ago after a long break, on an Ibanez GSR200 which is an entry level bass and I was amazed at what a nice bit of kit it was for the price.  I still regret selling it on when I upgraded.

+1 for the GSR200. I got one a few months back. Meanwhile my Fender P hangs on the wall!  Very light, easy to play neck. Frets were good.  Can't fault the P/J pickups for the price.

Harley Benton's are OK, good value for the price. - I have what I think is a Ibanez/Yamaha copy, its not quite as good fret-wise and slightly heavier than the Ibanez, so I'd go for a second hand Ibanez to fit your budget.

Avoid Harley Benton's on Ebay, there may be a few Deko's out there!

6 minutes ago, Switch625 said:

I'm all for upgrades and customisation. But for a starter bass I just want something to pick and up enjoy playing without thinking "it could do with new pickups/better tuners". I think the VM squiers kind of fall in to that bracket, as does the bitsa you have for sale at the moment :)

Definitely think a second hand Ibanez SR is a good shout, then (if you get on with the neck/string spacing).

Because they depreciate faster than a Subaru, you can effectively buy a medium to high-end model pre-owned for only a bit more cash than the entry model new.

Edited by progben

20 hours ago, LewisK1975 said:

Yep, another shout out here for the lower end Yamaha Basses, they represent amazing VFM on the 2nd hand market.

Like this, £221 new.  I bet it's brilliant.  https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/13100717285058--yamaha-trbx174osv-old-violin-sunburst

Just checked out a couple of videos on youtube of this model. That does sound pretty awesome at this price point!

20 hours ago, Funkfingers said:

The Squier VM series is "crafted in Indonesia" at the Cort factory - just like numerous Ibanez, Schecter and, now some PRS SE instruments. Apart from the headstock shapes, the Cort Action, budget Ibanez SR and the old Squier MB4 are, to most intents and purposes, the same instrument. 

My other pre-owned bargain suggestion is Yamaha. Excellent build quality. Plenty of scope for upgrading the pickups and controls when you feel ready. 

I've had a dabble on the newer Affinity series, and they're not bad. In fact, they're a damn sight better quality than much of the cheaper end of the market when I started playing (anyone remember the Kay's catalogue brand? eugh!!!)
The Affinity would be a good starting point, and they do a P/J which is quite commonplace, I believe. There is a VM series P/J - I know, cos I had one. That's less commonly available, but not "rare" exactly....

For me, better value for money would be the 2nd hand option. And the VM series are definitely a notch up from the affinity. But perhaps, if you saved just a tad more, you could go for a Classic Vibe series (or a Matt Freeman, which are made in the same factory) The CV series are another notch up again from the VM's - but they are starting to go for more money second-hand, as they are now (mostly) discontinued. That said, I've seen a few going for relatively low money on eBay - so keep your eyes open.... There is a CV 70's P bass in the marketplace on here, and I can't recall the asking price - but I think it's around or just over £300. I know, I know - you can go on wanting to add just a bit more money - but in a CV you get great quality.

As others have said though, also look at some Ibanez basses. I've seen a Ibanez SDGR (Soundgear) SR500 go for not much over £200, and that's amazing value, given the high quality construction and the superb Bartolini pickups & active electrics it's fitted with.

Most important of all though - try as many as you can, and go for the one that feels most comfortable to you.... Sometimes, you just feel a "bond" with an instrument - it may be several factors, it may be down to your hands feeling more comfortable on the neck, it may even be that you can't quite put your finger on exactly why you feel more comfortable with that model.... but I think it's essential to try as many as you can.... Pop into your local shop (s) are there any BC members who live near you, who don't mind you having a try of their bass? (most BC'ers are very friendly and open to this). Is there a tutor near you? Tutors often know a pupil who is looking to upgrade...

Best of luck in your search

EDIT: If you try a Squier Affinity and like it - remember, it's a good entry level instrument anyway, and if it's the most comfortable you feel playing, then get that one

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Switch625 said:

I've been looking around for my first starter bass and have pretty much decided to go for a PJ type to offer a variety of tones. I'd also like to pick something up that I'll enjoy learning on and not feel it's a budget instrument that needs upgrading/replacing for a while.

I just noticed a second hand Squier Affinity PJ pop up on ebay for £129 + shipping that seems reasonable and checked out a few youtube videos to hear what it sounds like. To me it sounds pretty good. But I'm wondering if I should hold out for a second hand VM which will probably sound better and hold my interest longer before wanting to swap up or change pickups?

Overall my budget is around £200-250 to get a nice starter bass and amp. Not sure if I should bite the bullet on the affinity or wait for a VM?

The Affinity can be ok, but I find the electronics lacking in general, while every VM series I've played was a bass that I'd be happy to play *as is*. I'd go with the VM, especially if you buy online as you stand a better chance to get a decent instrument, in my opinion.

Don't dismiss the amp as just a box to make the bass loud: a meh amp will make your bass terribly uninspiring. The good news is that you don't need to spend much to get a small amp that sounds good... but I'd definitely go around trying amps until I find one that I really like.

Just now, Funkfingers said:

While that's true to some extent, Cort makes instruments at all quality levels: they're able to make fantastic instruments, or very basic entry ones, essentially they build to order whatever a company asks for and with a budget in mind. Just because two basses look similar and were both made by Cort it doesn't mean they're similar. Having said that, Cort doesn't really make bad instruments, just like Yamaha. They're pretty safe. Although Cort's choice of electronics can be a big let down on the lower range of instruments.

Just now, Switch625 said:

How about Harley Benton?

Youtube only gives you a very very very rough idea of the sound a bass can make. It's unfortunate, as sometimes you just can't get to hear a given instrument in person... There are lots of terrible reviews on youtube. 

I'm starting to think the bass universe has something against me...

Was supposed to go see a bass/amp last Saturday morning, all arranged the day before but then the guy texts to say somebody had expressed interest weeks before me but went quiet on him, and had just got back in touch. So he was giving him first dibs, which he did and the bass sold.

Spoke to somebody yesterday about going to see a Squier VM this morning, got a text in the middle of the night saying he wasn't feeling well and he wouldn't be up to it. I'm hoping that we can rearrange for tomorrow but looking doubtful.

The annoying thing is if I had known I wasn't going to see the Squier today, I could've gone to see a Yamaha TRBX174 yesterday afternoon. But I put that off as I prefer the Squier. Now I just have to sit and wait to see what happens :angry2:

Yeah a used Ibanez, Cort or Yamaha will see you through nicely. My first ever bass was a Yamaha RBX774 which I got on a good collection-only deal off eBay years ago. Still makes me smile every time I plug it in, although I’ll sadly be listing it up for sale soon...

Have you tried looking at local Cash Converter type places? Absolute dives for the most part but there’s sometimes a bargain to be had, particularly on Squier, Yamaha and similar.

To save you a trip you can look at their stock online (though it’s not usually up to date), they’ll let you test stuff, they’ll shift things around stores within reason and you can try haggle. 

I wouldn’t usually recommend it but if you’re after starter kit you can get pretty lucky! I almost grabbed a nearly-new Squier Bullet Strat for £40 this summer!