Why become a member? ×

Singing Lessons in Nottingham

BigRedX

Apparently when I was a boy I had a lovely singing voice, but adolescence combined with a love of shouty rock and punk music plus the fact that really don't like how my voice sounds when recorded (much like the Red Dalek) means I haven't really done much singing for the last 40 years.

However I think I'm missing out a lot in my musical development by not being at least a competent singer, so I've decided to look at getting some lessons in order to improve the, pitching, range and tone of my singing. Is there anyone in Nottingham that Basschat members would recommend? I am really looking for a personal recommendation rather than a list of Google results.

I'm not looking at becoming a fantastic lead vocalist, but some help in being able to provide a competent vocal performance that I would not be embarrassed about is what I am after.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by BigRedX

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

This was indeed my first thought, but it appears that he hasn't been on Basschat for almost 3 years, and if my internet stalking is up to scratch this is him now, and TBH I can't afford the rates he charges for the amount of lessons I'm probably going to need.

I've been to mark a couple of times and being a BC'er (or ex BC'er #oneofus) he will probably be up for a chat at the very least. He also quite readily recommends other people in his circle so he might be able to help :)

16 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Like the many many YouTube bass lessons there could be some good similar resources for singers? It's on my list of things to do when I eventually have time to myself. 

There are probably as many singing coaches floating around YouTube as there are singers - it's worth having a look through a few and working out whether you like their material. I've not really delved into bass tuition videos for comparison, but what works well with some people is always likely to grate with others! Personally I've found Felicia Ricci's stuff very useful.

I don't really find YouTube a very useful resource. It's too full of waffle, self-promotion, and takes far too long to get to meat of of the "lessons".

Plus I don't think there is any real substitute for one-on-one personal lessons when it comes to music. I certainly can't tell if I doing sometime right or not from a video tutorial, I would need to teacher to be there with me giving instant feedback. My guitar, bass and keyboard playing is full of nasty in-grained habits which over 45 years of playing I have finally managed to make work for me. I don't want (or have time for) the same to happen to my singing.