Why become a member? ×

The one that got away in 99/00 Manchester Bass Centre

AndyTravis

A good long while ago, there was a branch of the Bass Centre in Manchester. It was a pain in the bum to find, and ultimately folded after a couple of years.

I frequently visited and one day, I bought a Spector NS-94 with LED’s up the fingerboard there.

That day I meant to buy another bass, it was stunningly put together and felt fantastic. It was blue (which helps) and had a “T” on the slinky little headstock - which I thought was really cool as I used to draw cartoons and sign with a squiggly “T” which looked similar to the logo.

It had switches and a preamp and a single MM pickup.

The only issue was that the switches and preamp wouldn’t work. And the chap in the shop couldn’t get it going.

And I left with the Spector rather than wait for it to get sorted.

I’ve been waiting for one to come up, but I’ve no idea what the model is.

It’s a Tune Bass, and the TWB shape. But because there were 2 companies called Tune Bass at the time and their websites were both crap - I couldn’t find much more information.

They don’t often crop up as a manufacturer...

here it is anyway. I would love one...

anyone else got a weird “wish I’d bought that!” Bass?

D45AF66F-4369-474E-A988-A53D849868D2.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis

I remember that shop and it was nothing special which I was hoping it was. The bass that I stupidly,foolishly passed on back in 1997/98 was a, 1978 Fender Precision in black & maple for £350 what an idiot I was. It was in this little shop where I used to live (long since closed) & I'm sure they didn't know what they had.

Edited by luckman67
  • Like 1

I remember it too way out of the way in Castlefields - quite a walk near the canal locks. It started with some exotic gear then got progressively more mainstream. I remember they had a shop-soilded Fodera AJ they were trying to off-load for ages... Came from the Wapping store where they were selling for a customer. Still bloody expensive then.

I went once thinking it would be a fantastic shop full to the brim of bass gear and enthusiastic staff.

It wasnt.

Then tried a few times to order a full bass rig off them over the phone (theyd talked me into a hartke) and both times that id rang they stopped the call mid conversation to deal with someone in the shop and promised to ring me back - twice - and never did.

14 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

It was a weird alcove under Key103 at Castlefield. 

The block of flats above was home to Jason Orange of Take That...apparently 🤷🏻‍♂️

LOL local urban legend. That was exactly what popped into my head when I read your first post.  

I went there a couple of times, the Bass Centre, not Jason’s, nothing special and the staff were pretty aloof if I recall. 

There was a Tobias Toby Pro 4 string thru neck that fit me like a glove for about £500 that I couldn’t afford in a now- closed guitar shop in Swansea. Honestly, it felt like an extension of my body it was so good. That was maybe 1997 or so. Never found another that felt like that. Damnit!

1 hour ago, Pea Turgh said:

There was a Tobias Toby Pro 4 string thru neck that fit me like a glove for about £500 that I couldn’t afford in a now- closed guitar shop in Swansea. Honestly, it felt like an extension of my body it was so good. That was maybe 1997 or so. Never found another that felt like that. Damnit!

Yeah, those Korean Toby’s were ace.

• 3 weeks later...

A Frame 5 string that was in the Gallery when I first used to go springs to mind. Cherry body, a bit Sei Flamboyant-ish, bolt-on satin finish carbon fibre neck, 2 Bart Js & parametric eq. It was super. Just never could quite talk myself into it and then it was gone. Other notables are a 5 string burl walnut and wenge Sei Original headless fretless which I sold my Sei Melt to buy, only to find I had been pipped at the post. It was the best fretless I’ve ever played and I loved it. Turned up for sale on here sometime later and the guy who beat me to it had had it fretted. Doh! And the mold green Pedulla MVP I should’ve bought from A1 Music for something like £599 (although I did buy the other, which was a trans gold/amber colour. That was a great bass).

Edited by 4000

On 20/12/2017 at 12:08, Dazed said:

LOL local urban legend. That was exactly what popped into my head when I read your first post.  

I went there a couple of times, the Bass Centre, not Jason’s, nothing special and the staff were pretty aloof if I recall. 

There was a guy there called Richard who had previously worked at A1 and later worked for Music Ground. He could be hard work. I had a Warwick Streamer for sale in there for a while; when I saw that Overwater had a Dolphin Pro 1 in I agreed to px my Streamer for it, so rang the Bass Centre to tell them I’d be taking my Streamer out. He actually rang me back, ranting at me that I’d sold it privately to avoid paying commission. Weird.

Jimmy Sims worked there for a bit too. He was far more amenable.

An aluminium necked Kramer that I found in Mamelok's on Deansgate in Manchester back in about 1980. I can't remember the model bass but I loved the split headstock, it sounded good and I was more than ready to upgrade from my Columbus jazz bass copy. Rather than buy the Kramer I bought an engagement ring that cost exactly the same as the bass (... and we're no longer a couple). Some years later, and from the same shop, I bought myself a Westone Spectrum LX bass (with interchangeable fretted and fretless necks); it's a great bass and I still have it but I'd still like to own a Kramer!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Was Richard a balding chap who was a bit dismissive and Jimmy the chap with a reddish beard?

Sounds feasible Andy. Actually, Jimmy at the time was beardless I think (and pretty young). Only saw Jimmy there the once but we had a good chat. That def sounds like Richard though. I think the guy with the beard also used to work in A1 in the guitar dept. I forget his name: a nickname of sorts, if I recall. He was a nice bloke from what I remember.

15 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Sounds feasible Andy. Actually, Jimmy at the time was beardless I think (and pretty young). Only saw Jimmy there the once but we had a good chat. That def sounds like Richard though. I think the guy with the beard also used to work in A1 in the guitar dept. I forget his name: a nickname of sorts, if I recall. He was a nice bloke from what I remember.

Jimmy rings a bell, think he ended up at music ground for a while. Wasn’t Napper was it?

15 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Jimmy rings a bell, think he ended up at music ground for a while. Wasn’t Napper was it?

Napper, that was it. Good memory Andy!

Jimmy (possibly Jim at the time, or maybe the other way round) was working at the Bass Centre in London in 2003, after they moved from Wapping, because he arranged my Alembic Triple Omega custom order (my 40th birthday present to myself). That's a bass I really, really wish I hadn't had to sell.

When I went to my local s/h dealer in the 90's I went to look at 2 Basses he had.  One was a 78 Precision and one was a Blue Ric 4001.

I had some gear to trade and the deal was I could straight swap what I had for the Precision, or add £50 for the Ric.

Tried both and (unsurprisingly) the Precision felt more comfortable.  That, plus the fact I didn't have to add the £50 led to me leaving with the Precision.

The Ric was beautiful tho, Metallic blue with the checkerboard binding on the body.  Dread to think what the return on that would be if I had it now.....

Winter 2003 or 2004. Fender Coronado bass, 1960s, I think. In terrible cosmetic shape but played beautifully. It felt so wonderfully natural. It was about £2600 - I had thought it was £600 when I picked it up, which I could not afford at the time, either - and was way out of my financial league. No idea if this was a reasonable price for it. Gone, but not forgotten. 

Spring or summer 1989, unknown make, unknown model. Quilted maple top, sunburst but dark all over the body apart from the very middle, just under the strings. It looked like fire. It was a thing of beauty. 

3 hours ago, LewisK1975 said:

When I went to my local s/h dealer in the 90's I went to look at 2 Basses he had.  One was a 78 Precision and one was a Blue Ric 4001.

I had some gear to trade and the deal was I could straight swap what I had for the Precision, or add £50 for the Ric.

Tried both and (unsurprisingly) the Precision felt more comfortable.  That, plus the fact I didn't have to add the £50 led to me leaving with the Precision.

The Ric was beautiful tho, Metallic blue with the checkerboard binding on the body.  Dread to think what the return on that would be if I had it now.....

That's interesting, because they phased out the checkerboard (early '73) long before they introduced Midnight Blue (the metallic blue) which was early '80s IIRC. So unless it was a refin, it was either a custom order, limited run, or was actually non-metallic Azureglo, in which case mid '73 or earlier and very collectible. Strangely I find Rics more comfortable, but hey, I'm weird.  ;-)

BTW Andy, I remembered today that Napper was actually Napa IIRC, and was his surname (first name possibly Ian?). I saw it on an email once. I thought it was Napper too, as that's what everyone called him. Not that it's in any way important. xD

• Thanks 1

Spent many hours lusting over Basses in the old Musical Exchange Brimingham and the Bass Centre round the corner. Stand out items include a Wal Mk1 for £300 a black Jaydee Supernatual that played like butter and a 4001 that sounded so huge!! I have never picked up another Ricky that sounded like that one. WHY I didn't purchase any of these I don't know.

I used to love getting buzzed into the old vintage section next to the bass cave in Musical exchange silly really but I always remember that and the broken bits area that you could hunt through and make offers for all sorts.

Stupid mistake by me was letting my PT5 go a few years ago after falling in love with it in Bass Direct still miss that bass keep looking at Tbird loaded basses (none Tbird shaped)

Edited by Joebethell

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

He was a nice bloke, remember chatting to him as Music Ground folded. Think he runs/ran a touring supply company in Ancoats after that.

Yeah, he was a good bloke. I can't imagine him not being involved in music somehow! He sold my mate his first PRS. Always had a lot of time for the old A1 crew, Nigel Clutterbuck, Drew & co. Despite the flack he gets for his trade show performances, Nigel's a lovely bloke. Either Nigel or Drew (I think both!) sold me my main Ric. 

1 hour ago, Joebethell said:

Spent many hours lusting over Basses in the old Musical Exchange Brimingham and the Bass Centre round the corner. Stand out items include a Wal Mk1 for £300 a black Jaydee Supernatual that played like butter and a 4001 that sounded so huge!! I have never picked up another Ricky that sounded like that one. WHY I didn't purchase any of these I don't know.

I used to love getting buzzed into the old vintage section next to the bass cave in Musical exchange silly really but I always remember that and the broken bits area that you could hunt through and make offers for all sorts.

Stupid mistake by me was letting my PT5 go a few years ago after falling in love with it in Bass Direct still miss that bass keep looking at Tbird loaded basses (none Tbird shaped)

Ah, you and me both, I used to have great days out to include both shops. The old ME was like an Aladdin's cave, loved it. Bought my first JD in ME, went in to buy a white GA24 (remember the walls of basses?) and came out with an early Supernatural with Saturn inlays. Sounded great. Then I sent it to John Diggins for some work and he changed the pickups as he said the old ones were going! I was mortified but had no idea what to say. When I got it back I didn't like the sound half as much. I later spoke to the guy it was built for and he told me the original bridge pickup had been a custom wind, which may explain why it was so different. 

Actually, there was a Ric in the B/ham Bass Centre that was one of my 'ones that got away'. Wonder it was the same one? Probably would have been mid/late 90s. I'd traded my Dolphin Pro 2 in ME for a Status 2000. When I got it home, I realised the Status caused me severe issues (as they do), so took it back and reclaimed my Dolphin. While I was there I popped round to the Bass Centre and they had in a Jetglo 4001, Nov or Dec 72 IIRC. Checkered binding, toaster, crushed pearl etc. I think it was £795, or possibly £895. They had it incorrectly listed as a '73 or something, so I told them what it was. It wasn't very well set up, but I plugged it in and it sounded huge. Unfortunately I didn't have any cash at the time, and for some reason it didn't occur to me to offer up my Dolphin as a px. Yeah, wish I'd bought that bass, it was definitely up there in 'chances missed'. It was one of the best-sounding Rics I've played, although I do generally love '72s. Wonder who has it now? It'd be around £3k these days!

19 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Actually, there was a Ric in the B/ham Bass Centre that was one of my 'ones that got away'. Wonder it was the same one? Probably would have been mid/late 90s. I'd traded my Dolphin Pro 2 in ME for a Status 2000. When I got it home, I realised the Status caused me severe issues (as they do), so took it back and reclaimed my Dolphin. While I was there I popped round to the Bass Centre and they had in a Jetglo 4001, Nov or Dec 72 IIRC. Checkered binding, toaster, crushed pearl etc. I think it was £795, or possibly £895. They had it incorrectly listed as a '73 or something, so I told them what it was. It wasn't very well set up, but I plugged it in and it sounded huge. Unfortunately I didn't have any cash at the time, and for some reason it didn't occur to me to offer up my Dolphin as a px. Yeah, wish I'd bought that bass, it was definitely up there in 'chances missed'. It was one of the best-sounding Rics I've played, although I do generally love '72s. Wonder who has it now? It'd be around £3k these days!

Yeah would have been around the same time late 90s. The RIC that I played was in the Exchange and was fireglo or Montezuma Brown can't remember exactly just remember the tone blew me away. Have had a couple since a 4003 and a 4001 but I still think that one had something extra. 

Such a same the two shops are gone though! Not many like that anymore if any.