Why become a member? ×

The one that got away in 99/00 Manchester Bass Centre

AndyTravis

On 10/01/2018 at 20:35, 4000 said:

There was a guy there called Richard who had previously worked at A1 and later worked for Music Ground. He could be hard work. I had a Warwick Streamer for sale in there for a while; when I saw that Overwater had a Dolphin Pro 1 in I agreed to px my Streamer for it, so rang the Bass Centre to tell them I’d be taking my Streamer out. He actually rang me back, ranting at me that I’d sold it privately to avoid paying commission. Weird.

Jimmy Sims worked there for a bit too. He was far more amenable.

I think he has a pub now....

14 hours ago, 4000 said:

That's interesting, because they phased out the checkerboard (early '73) long before they introduced Midnight Blue (the metallic blue) which was early '80s IIRC. So unless it was a refin, it was either a custom order, limited run, or was actually non-metallic Azureglo, in which case mid '73 or earlier and very collectible. Strangely I find Rics more comfortable, but hey, I'm weird.  ;-)

Oh it's quite possible that it was the non-metallic you mention.  It definitely had checkerboard binding, that's what I remember about it the most!  And it was blue.  

Now it really feels like it was 'The one that got away'! 

I'll console myself with the fact that I most likely would have gone off it and sold it soon after anyway (that's what happened when I bought a 4003 a few years ago).

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I’ve found one!!!

Will update as I go!

E55FEC6E-BF45-4747-A6D8-60046E2AA423.jpeg

I really hope you can get this!

I saw one in action circa 2005 and wanted one ever since.

I couldn't work out what it was and assumed it was some prototype Ibanez thing like Percy Jones had.

Stingray, but not stingray. Absolutely fantastic tone and looked very easy to play.

Good luck!

😎

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

I really hope you can get this!

I saw one in action circa 2005 and wanted one ever since.

I couldn't work out what it was and assumed it was some prototype Ibanez thing like Percy Jones had.

Stingray, but not stingray. Absolutely fantastic tone and looked very easy to play.

Good luck!

😎

Might be stumbling a little. See if Mr Max the drummer can sort.

• Like 2

Well. I’ve paid for it.

I’ve used a Russian shop who offers a finding/shipping service on Reverb. He specifically deals in Japanese vintage gear, which is a happy coincidence.

@walshy put me in touch with him (he bought an Aria through this guy).

https://reverb.com/shop/denniss-gear-bazaar-167?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=shop&utm_content=929219

Super nice guy, really helpful.

• Like 3

Just now, AndyTravis said:

Well. I’ve paid for it.

I’ve used a Russian shop who offers a finding/shipping service on Reverb. He specifically deals in Japanese vintage gear, which is a happy coincidence.

https://reverb.com/shop/denniss-gear-bazaar-167?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=shop&utm_content=929219

Wow, that seemed easy - what's the expected delivery date?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

Well. I’ve paid for it.

Nice one dude

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Well. I’ve paid for it.

Hmmm. I wonder if he could find me a SB-R60 in Padauk red 🤔

Congratulations on finding the bass anyway👍

• Thanks 1

Late 80's, Markham music in Colchester had a blue ESP precision bass, with a maple neck, played it while trying out a laney combo, loved it to bits but couldn't afford it at the time, went back some time later but sadly gone. 

• Sad 1