Why become a member? ×

Seminal 'bass' albums

XoSo

On 21/12/2017 at 21:53, owen said:

Dawnsionara by Endaf Emlyn. It will be on spotify somewhere. Early Pino back when he was all ours in Wales. We knew he was the bomb. Here is his solo off the album 

Welsh language jazz fusion?

Who knew such a thing existed?

My important albums

Heavy Weather by Weather Report.

What's Up by the Dixie Dregs.

Journey To Love by Stanley Clarke 

Product by Brand X

Champions by Jeff Berlin

Grasshopper by the Wayne Johnson Trio

Iron Maiden 1st.

Machine Head by Deep Purple 

And 1m more 

Tower of power    Back to Oakland

Level 42.      The early tapes

weather report .    Heavy weather/black market

george benson.   The shape of things to come

donald fagen .  the nightfly

wayne Johnson  trio   Grasshopper

Buddy Rich.   strike it rich live

pierre Michelot    Round about a bass

brian Culbertson   Funk

Back Door          Back door

james brown    any good collection but check out the rare stuff like "take a look at those cakes"

BB King Now Appearing at Ole Miss Live........ you really can learn alot from this Double Lp

motown/stax any good collection

Edited by funkgod
more info

A seminal one for me - Magazine's 2nd album "Secondhand daylight", Barry Adamson at his funky and melodic peak.   

Mick Karn obviously well represented in previous posts but I'll mention again  -  just because.     Technically much of his best playing IMHO was on "Gentlemen take Polaroids" (not so far mentioned), but "Quiet life" remains my favourite.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2017 at 13:18, ambient said:

Michael Manring’s Soliloquy, and Steve Lawson’s behind every word. Those two albums opened my eyes to what bass can do. I was never really interested in playing  bass as a ‘bass’, always more as an instrument, then I realised that you could.

I’m now of the opinion that a groove is something you get stuck in, and should be avoided at all costs 😊.

Top Trolling from this guy.

• Like 1

+ 1 for new Gold Dream ( also for  Sister Feelings Call)  and Deon Estus's playing on Fantastic

Fabrique by Fashion - love the lines on this underrated album by an underrated band

Limping for a Generation - the Blow Monkeys debut. Has some lovely fretless by the overlooked Mick Anker

The Specials - chock full of cracking bass by Sir Horace. essential for the band's sound

I Just Can't Stop It -The Beat . always feel Dave Steele 's also often overlooked.

New Boots and Panties - the first time I head Norm's tasty bass work

Duran Duran (debut) and Rio - John Taylor's always been a quality player and Planet Earth definitely grabbed my ears

On 12/20/2017 at 18:06, Leonard Smalls said:

Seminal bass albums?

All the Bootsy's Rubber Band albums. 

Mothership Connection by Parliament has to be included in this, as Bootsy's first overt superfunky starting point. Every bass line is a massive, fat killer.

Some other personal favourites:

Manchild by Herbie Hancock & Headhunters. Paul Jackson's P grooving still floors me.

Destroyer by Kiss. Nothing fancy but the reason my young self picked up bass, learning the record note for note. Really melodic, driving lines that brought bass to the attention of countless kids the world over.

Graham Central Station first album. Larry Graham. Nuff said.

High Havoc by Corduroy. Richard Searle is a machine, especially on this track