Why become a member? ×

Seminal 'bass' albums

XoSo

Assuming this is completely personal, I'd like to add:

Don't shoot me - Elton John. Dee Murray's playing is what made me want to play bass.

Place Vendome - MJQ and the swingle singers. Percy Heath's bass is perfectly judged.

Charles Mingus - The clown. Particularly Haitian fight song.

Sting - on the first two Police albums

Roger Glover - Made in Japan

Bakithi Kumalo - Graceland.

For me, it's not the whizz bangery of it all. It's what the bass player contributes to the song that counts.

On 12/19/2017 at 15:15, Barking Spiders said:

Sulk by the Associates - not every track has bass but each one that does is a peach

Penthouse and Pavement by Heaven 17 - just 4 tracks on the Pavement side but each with some great funky chops

+ 2 for Rattus Norvegicus - every bass line a gem 

Now Do You Wanta Dance by Graham Central Station - arguably the heaviest grooves from Larry Graham esp Earthquake

Lexicon of Love  by ABC - chock full of tasteful funky lines esp 4 Ever 2 Gether, Valentin'es Day Show Me.

Songs in the Key of Life -this has Sir Duke and I Wish. What more do you need?

Graceland - I b ought this mainly for the bass on Boy in the Bubble, You Can Call Me Al and Diamonds..

Totally agree with Penthouse and Pavement............

I was mad into Talking Heads..... still am now......... the movie of Stop Making Sense was the first production which made me cry with joy.

I didn't know what was going on........!!  It still gets me on my feet now.

I know it's not a seminal bass album but It changed my life.

Corny but true.

• Like 2

On top of that, I got a new flat mate in the late 80's and he was like "You're alright Chewie, but you need to get into this....." and he dropped me a couple of Budgie albums.  Bandolier & In For The Kill......... Man, that was a seminal moment.   Burke Shelley's voice and his P-bass........ Life changer......

I love some of the suggestions above, but I’ll put something forward that’s a bit more modern - Side Pony, by Lake Street Dive.

There’s not been much made in years that’s excited me from a bass perspective, but I love what Bridget Kearney does with a double bass on this record. A distinctive sound and great playing that suits the songs.

George

Edited by geoham

Amen Japhet.  As the owner of 6 SD albums, gotta agree

Not so obvious maybe is Mike Howletts work on Steve Hillage's Fish Rising if you can get round the hippy thang, its all in there

Mike really kicks in at 8:38 if you cant wait

Edited by fleabag

10 hours ago, Chewie said:

I was mad into Talking Heads..... still am now......... the movie of Stop Making Sense was the first production which made me cry with joy.

I didn't know what was going on........!!  It still gets me on my feet now.

I know it's not a seminal bass album but It changed my life.

Corny but true.

I recorded both Stop Making Sense and True Stories off the telly when I was a kid. T.S. is a strange thing but S.M.S. is, by far, my favourite live recording. Should be a seminal bass album, it's a dirty funk thang! 

Talking Heads, Tom Tom Club and D.B.'s solo stuff all great to me. I even enjoyed listening to Yes Please! by the Mondays the other night (Frantz n Weymouth producing)

Stanley's School Days made me go "Wow, this guy can play a bit" 

Bowie - The Spiders from Mars era.

Uriah Heep  - Gary Thain & Trevor Bolder era's.

Hawkwind - Lemmy era.

Eddie and the Hot Rods - Life On The Line / Thriller.

Gillan - Mr Universe / Glory Road.

The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette / The Black Album / Strawberries.

The Jam - All albums.

Toyah - Sheep Farming in Barnet.

The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus / No More Heroes / Black & White / The Raven.

Rush - All The World's A Stage / Hemisphere's / Permanent Waves / Moving Pictures / Signals.

Japan - Adolescent Sex / Quiet Life.

Talk Talk - The Party's Over / It's My Life / The Colour of Spring.

Kings of Leon - All albums yeah some song are stinky poo, but the lad brings the four string to the fore in a way I like. 

On 12/19/2017 at 16:05, mikel said:

Stand Up. Jethro Tull. The best of Glen Cornick and Clive Bunker as the rhythm section. Living in the Past, a single recorded at the same time, is a melodic bass masterclass from Glen and its in 5/4 time. Whats not to like?

Completely agree and would include the next album, Benefit. John Glascock's playing on Songs From The Wood is exceptional and makes it a seminal bass album for me.

• Like 1