Why become a member? ×

How old is too old to play bass?

Twanger

15 minutes ago, ivansc said:

I was born on D-Day 6th June 1944. First paid gig 1954  Last paid gig in  so far is a festival in July of 2018 but I am hoping to book more. 3 left between now and New Years, starting Saturday.

Love these stories about us seniors hanging in there continuing to do what we love.

We have a bit of an advantage. We know how to filter out all BS and just have fun.

Blue

It's a really good question. I'm going to answer perhaps a little bit more 'seriously' than I suspect the OP intended, as it's something I've been giving a little bit of thought to.

You're never too old to love music or to play bass. 

But being a half decent bass player in a gigging band is, at least in part for me, about precision timing. There does come a time when reaction time slows down and you literally can't keep up, a time when folk in the audience look on thinking that's sweet but it doesn't actually look or sound good. At that point it probably is time to realise that your serious gigging days are behind you and to give the field over to the next generation.

We've all seen ancient rock stars and thought "I wonder if your younger self would have been mortified to realise that you had turned into everything he / she had once rebelled against?"

When that particular time comes, is for each of us to realise for ourselves but also to hear those who love us and we trust when they tell us.

I recently told my band that I would probably be finishing up my gigging days in around 10 years time. They looked horrified (bless 'em). I suspect they will a lot less horrified in 10 years time! But hey, what's to stop me still being involved writing and producing music, getting gigs and supporting my less well off band mates financially if I can. The world doesn't end just cause you're no longer half of a live rhythm section, right? 

Until then enjoy and savour every gig you play. I'm going to try my best to.

Happy Christmas all!

26 minutes ago, discreet said:

Bloody hell, loads of old codgers still shuffling about, then. Anyone fancy putting together a band just for Saga cruises? A captive audience of like-minded seniors guaranteed! Imagine it - free Ralgex and all the Sanatogen we can drink!

I would say our base of fans are all over 50 most over 60. Our BL and front person is 32. The rest of us are 64.

Blue

57 minutes ago, outsider70 said:

Ive been gigging since I was 18. Next year I will be 60, and although Ive come close to retiring a couple of times, I made the decision last year to continue gigging for as long as I'm able.

At 64, I can still handle 4 hour bar gigs including set up and tear down with no problem 

My problem is remembering the gig dates and my driving skills have gone downhill. I've gotten lost on the way home from gigs that were 5 minutes away from my condo 

Blue

29 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

At 64, I can still handle 4 hour bar gigs including set up and tear down with no problem 

My problem is remembering the gig dates and my driving skills have gone downhill. I've gotten lost on the way home from gigs that were 5 minutes away from my condo 

Blue

Time for a Satnav Blue? 🙂

Four years ago I joined my son and a drummer mate as they couldnt find a bass player. Together with a singer, two of the band were 18, my son was 20 and I was 53. This was after me not playing since I was 20!!! We played Indie stuff to the masses and I felt a teenager again. Since then, the two 18 year olds went off to uni but my son and I found two more players with ages in the 30s and 40s respectivly and still play indie floorfillers/anthems. Absolutely lovin it!!! And best of all, me and my son are just like good mates within the band set-up - no higherarchy(spelling)here.

To the OP - though I'm not quite your age..... I stopped playing for nearly 25 years!
So yes, I know what it's like to be starting again, later on in life....
But heck, I'm so glad I did start playing again - I'm less "competitive" in my approach to playing now, and I'm enjoying it more than ever

Get yourself some lighter weight gear. Maybe try a short, or perhaps medium scale (32") bass
And there's plenty of light weight amp gear around too, like Markbass , Epifani, or TC Electronics
Plus, don't under-estimate the value of a half decent bass strap. I was still buying those cheap guitar straps until I found a nice wide-ish soft leather strap and couldn't believe how much more balanced and comfortable it felt

Most of all, persist with it, enjoy it, get back in a band...... once a bass player, always a bass player - just relax + have fun :)

Edited by Marc S

I picked up a bass for the first time in my late-40s, had my first public gig at 50.  Now, at 60 I am in two bands.  A new Bon Jovi tribute with big plans and a smaller pub band.  Both equally good fun in their own way.   Currently have a weak lower back, a hernia, torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder and a touch of sciatica down my right leg... :)  Light gear, light basses is the way forward!

Edited by Paul S

57 here pushing 58.

On Friday nite I did my first "posh corporate" gig for 25 odd yrs for 150+ with the 7 piece I hang out with and yes it was very exciting with guest singers etc and everyone dressed up and having a good time. It seems to me it doesn't matter how old you are, the fun is still there to be had....at any age, though I make sure my gear is the lightest I can afford. If one thing can ruin a gig at my age its schleping heavy gear at 1.00am in the morning....

On 19/12/2017 at 12:45, XoSo said:

Bluewine, where are you playing in the present day pic. Looks very much like the MAC arena at Canon Hill  Park in Birmingham

I've played the MAC arena at Cannon Hill Park. I think it was 1976.

But I've never played the macarena.

I have lived briefly in the Macarena barrio of Sevilla.

It's confusing.

Funny - I am MD`ing a charity gig in Cambridge on 6th January (Roger "Syd" Barrett`s birthday) to help fund a garden in Syd`s name at the local hospital.  Nobody under 60 performing and precious few under 70!  Best part is Decca Recording Artist Dean Parker, complete with throat and prostate cancer survivor badges, will be singing and playing his late fifties Stratocaster!  What a guy.