Why become a member? ×

How old is too old to play bass?

Twanger

I'm starting out again after a 15 year hiatus. I kept up six string guitar, in a desultory way, as a bedroom player, but my bass stayed in the cupboard. So I dragged it out recently, bought a new set of strings (remortgaged the house for a new set of strings - I use TI flats) and set up a headphone amp for practice. I'll get a real amp when/if I find someone to play with.

I'm pushing 60. The bass is heavy. My back hurts after an hour or so. I've lost my stretch, and it's coming back slowly, but the muscles in my left hand need strengthening. Should I just give up and take up the ukulele or this there a future for elderly bassists? Any crumbs of comfort out there, of the "I'm 83 and still hauling SVTs and 8x10s around" kind?

I'm 64 and been playing and gigging since I was 12 years old.

The whole experience is still a blast for me, 4 hour bar gigs, festivals, fairs, practicing and rehearsals.

I don't think age matters unless your goal is to be a pop star.

What matters is,

Is it realistic for you

Do you have the time

Are you passionate about it.

You get out of it what your willing to put into it.

Blue

Because of an injury, I recently did a rehearsal on a high stool; it was great. If I wasn’t singing and was set up way in the back, I wouldn’t mind doing a gig like that. There are stools that incorporate a guitar stand and I might have to get one. 

Physical age shouldn’t be a barrier to playing, it’s all about how you feel about it in your mind. Keep on going until you feel you’ve had enough, if ever.

There's always the world of short scale basses, like Fender Mustangs etc, which are lighter, shorter scale and still very cool and credible.

There are also lots of light weight amps and speaker cabs around these days, which are ludicrously easy to move compared to the big old gear i started out playing 30 years ago.

I guess that as long as you're enjoying it, then keep at it. Lots of older guys on Basschat who will no doubt have some tips and support to share? 

Coming up to 72 and I still gig occasionally although the aftereffects of an operation mean, for the moment, that I can't stand for long periods so I have a nice tall stool with a buttkicker attached so I can sit at the back and still feel the bass.  Lightweight gear these days.

I first played bass in a college band when I was 18, because the other guitarist was better than me and we didn't have a bassist. Did a few gigs then we split up and I moved back home to raise my family. I've just started again with the intention of learning to play it properly - I'm 58 so I'd say your 15 year hiatus is more of a little break. Think I'm probably too old to have aspirations about joining a band again but I'm having fun

• Like 1

One of my students was 80 in September. He's actually out of all my students the most dedicated. We're currently doing chord melody jazz stuff. He saw me showing off a few weeks ago, and wanted to learn how to do it. He's also getting a 5 string after Christmas.

You're never too old.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, obbm said:

Coming up to 72 and I still gig occasionally although the aftereffects of an operation mean, for the moment, that I can't stand for long periods so I have a nice tall stool with a buttkicker attached so I can sit at the back and still feel the bass.  Lightweight gear these days.

Still playing and doing some gigs at 72, that is really cool.

I'm hoping vto follow in your footsteps.

Blue

That's what I need to hear, people! Keep it coming! Bass is the thing. Of all the gigging I've done, it was the bass playing that was the good stuff. It's great being the bass player because you're not reliant on someone else to provide the low end - they always do it worse than you would, and you're stuck there providing the garnish.

1 minute ago, Bluewine said:

The women. I gave up on that.

At 64 they're not interested vin me and I'm not interested in them.

Blue

Love your 1969 hair, maybe women would be more interested in you if you let it grow again?

I'm 62 and whilst have plenty of hair, find the steely grey reflects in the stage lighting.....

12 minutes ago, ambient said:

Slightly off topic. Did anyone see the news last night, the 84 year old lady sprinter?

Apparently her 100m time is within 7 seconds of Usain Bolt. WTF!? :shok:

Edit: Oh and to the OP, I'm pushing 65 and still play regularly (for myself these days, but you never know...). :)

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Twanger said:

I'm pushing 60. Should I just give up and take up the ukulele or this there a future for elderly bassists?

Pretty much everyone on this bloody board is elderly and should know better! As said above, the main factor in keeping old bass players active is the advent of lightweight amplification that sounds as good as its chunkier predecessors, and to a lesser extent, the availability of much lighter basses.

My current Jazz bass is 7.5lbs and imminent combo will be around 16kg. Why we weigh basses in imperial measures and amps in metric I don't know, but there it is. :D

Edited by discreet