Why become a member? ×

Would the Marshall ms-2 micro amp be ok for bass?

Bassguy900

I have one of the little micro amps and the sole purpose I use it for is when I'm touring as a backline tech, to sit inside my guitar tech workbox as a "check this is in tune/working" speaker.

It'll make a sound something like a guitar, but it's very limited and I'd imagine anyone playing guitar through it regularly would get quickly frustrated. It sounds like absolute derrière with a bass!

20171220_172357.jpg

😂 I would suggest that for anything other than Mike257’s usage above, you’d be best off using literally anything but this Marshall amp. Especially for bass. See if you can find yourself a decent (and reasonably inexpensive) used combo either from here or one of the many gear groups on Facebook or even eBay. Good deals can be had all over the place. Typically, for bass use I’d avoid anything with the word “micro” in the product title - one of the only exceptions being the Roland Micro Cube RX which @ped can confirm is a good bit of gear.

Budget will obviously be a factor but as a general rule, it’s worth saving up and paying a bit extra for quality when it comes to bass amplification. It really can make all the difference to your playing enjoyment!

My personal home practice setup is either an Apogee jam interface into an iPod running iRig or into my iMac running Garage Band.  A good set of headphones/earphones is essential but you have the added facility to download tracks from your iTunes library into the iRig software to play along to or to drag .mp files into Garage Band to achieve the same effect.

Edited by DaytonaRik

On 21/12/2017 at 10:39, DaytonaRik said:

My personal home practice setup is either an Apogee jam interface into an iPod running iRig or into my iMac running Garage Band.  A good set of headphones/earphones is essential but you have the added facility to download tracks from your iTunes library into the iRig software to play along to or to drag .mp files into Garage Band to achieve the same effect.

I use a similar set up when travelling. Spotify running in parallel with GarageBand on iPhone so I can play along with tracks.